How to tell if vibratory pump is damaged?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
avalys

#1: Post by avalys »

I stupidly ran my new Lelit PL042 out of water the other night while I was cleaning it before putting it away for the night. I was running water through the portafilter empty when I noticed the flow slowing. A few seconds later, I realized that what I thought was the water level on the tank was actually a shadow.

I quickly turned off the pump, filled the tank, and everything still seems to operate normally. However, worry that I damaged the vibratory pump has complicated my subsequent efforts to learn to use the machine - I switched to a new coffee the next morning, which seemed to require a coarser grind (by almost a full increment, i.e. 3 to 4). However, I can't be certain if it is simply requiring a coarser grind because the pump is producing less pressure, or because the coffee really is that different.

The pump is not noisy or otherwise erratic. Is there any way to tell if it was damaged, and if so, is it something I can easily replace myself?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Based on your description of events, you have nothing to worry about. A vibe pump isn't damaged by running it dry for a few moments. It can overheat if run for over 1 minute; some pumps have a thermal cutoff to interrupt power if the coil is too hot. You can confirm brew pressure with a portafilter pressure gauge. It's not difficult or expensive to build a portafilter gauge and there's ample online hints:

From Rancilio Silvia Pressure Gauge Test; also see Building a Portafilter Pressure Gauge

The DIY portafilter gauge above has a needle valve to simulate the flow rate of espresso. It's more accurate, but you can get a "good enough" measurement by simply not applying thread sealant so the fitting drips a bit.
Dan Kehn

mini

#3: Post by mini »

I second that your pump should be completely fine. Running dry is an inevitable accident - I've done it several times to no ill effect. As long as you catch it in a few seconds it's no big deal. Switching coffees can require a substantial amount of grind adjustment both from coffee origin and roast level. That's not unusual either.

As for checking, if you are still nervous (dont be!), an easier check is to measure flow rate at zero pressure. It's a good bet that you have an ULKA E5 pump. From their company website...

If your pump is pretty close to 600 ml/min with the portafilter out, it's running correctly. Be advised, I think some people have found that the flow rates vary a bit more than the company's publication.

I'm hesitant to say this, but just for general information, pumps are not difficult to replace. My Le'Lit even has quick release joints. Connect two hoses, attach two wires, remount it, that's about it. Like I said, though, I'm sure your pump is healthy.
matt

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Fresh coffee will take a coarser grind, dont worry about it. When those pumps go bad, they go bad in a big way. You would end up with very little to no flow or the pump itself would just not work.
Dave Stephens

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

This is very common and nothing to wory about. A few second with no water will not harm the pump. Running the pump for a minute or longer (with or without water) is probably not a good idea.