How to properly turn the Gaggia Classic off for the day

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Moka 1 Cup

#1: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

I apologize in advance because I am sure this topic has already been covered, but I tried to search the forum and I have found information about what to do for properly storing the Gaggia for a long term, nothing related to daily use. The owner manual is not very clear either.

Let's say that I make an espresso (just an espresso, no milk steaming) in the morning and I am not planning on making another one until I came back from work, and I want to turn the machine off.
What is the right procedure in order to minimize the stress on the machine?
Currently, after drinking my espresso, I remove the portafilter and clean it. With the portafilter removed, I use some kitchen paper to to remove residues of coffee from the shower, then I run some water and clean it again with the paper. At that point I tun it off.

Should I do anything different?
For example, after turning the machine off, if I open the steam valve some water comes out of the wand. Should I do it every time I turn the Gaggia off, in order to drop the pressure inside the boiler?

Edit: my Gaggia Classic is the usual US model.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:I have found information about what to do for properly storing the Gaggia for a long term, nothing related to daily use... What is the right procedure in order to minimize the stress on the machine?
I'd just turn it off and not worry about it, especially for single boilers that naturally refresh the boiler water with each use. There's no need to worry about excessive pressure as they have an expansion valve that relieves it automatically.

For HX and dual boiler espresso machines, it's not a bad idea to flush the steam boiler before shutting done from time-to-time in order to reduce the mineral concentration. That is, mineral concentration of steam boilers naturally goes up over time if it's not flushed because mineralized water in, steam/distilled water out. For a single boiler like the Gaggia Classic, that obviously doesn't occur.

Since it comes up frequently in this context, readers of this thread may be interested in the perennial "turn it on, turn it off" threads like Leave espresso machine on 24/7?
Dan Kehn

Moka 1 Cup (original poster)

#3: Post by Moka 1 Cup (original poster) »

Thanks a lot! I'll follow the advise.
Since it comes up frequently in this context, readers of this thread may be interested in the perennial "turn it on, turn it off" threads like Leave espresso machine on 24/7?
Well, now I have a new dilemma to face :lol:
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

JojoS

#4: Post by JojoS »

I have gotten used to the backflush with water routine before turning the machine off after each coffee making session.