How to measure grouphead depth?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Detour101

#1: Post by Detour101 »

I try to use depth tamp to set depth, but I don't know how to measure the depth of my group head versus basket. any help here? thanks

by the way, do you prefer depth tamp or weight tamp?

Giampiero

#2: Post by Giampiero »

2 piece of paper, a 1,5cm square cube of playdoh.
1 piece of paper at basket bottom, put the playdoh inside the basket, put the other piece of paper on top of playdoh, engage the portafilter and voila.
Warning....the whole machine must be absolutely at ambient temperature otherwise you will messy with the playdoh :wink:

gscace

#3: Post by gscace »

I use a straight edge across the bottom of the group - a steel rule is fine but a lathe tool blank or piece of bar stock is better. I measure from the straight edge to the group gasket and from the straight edge to the shower screen. I use a dial caliper but I suppose you could simply use a steel rule as long as you can read the number. The difference between the measurements is the grouphead depth. It doesn't matter which side of the tool blank you make the measurement from (top or bottom) as long as you are consistent.

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

Unless there is a mismatch between dose / grind / basket depth / screen height, why does the number matter?

Detour101 (original poster)

#5: Post by Detour101 (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:Unless there is a mismatch between dose / grind / basket depth / screen height, why does the number matter?
because I want to set the depth on the tamper. if I set too shallow is going to touch the shower screen, I want it to press the puck tight, and just right.

barri

#6: Post by barri »

I remember the old coin test which meant using real coffee but found a better way using long grain rice. Uncooked of course. :D
Keep filling the basket, collapsing and flattening the rice by tapping and locking in the portafilter until you just feel some resistance, take out a very small amount, a few grains, until that resistance is just gone. That's the maximum height you can dose. You could make a mark on the basket or rest your tamper on top of the rice and note the depth.