How To Make Your Own Naked Portafilter - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Fr. John

#11: Post by Fr. John »

I know this has been done before but thought I would show my results. I am surprised at how easy this was. I know brass is soft (I was a fine art metals major) but wasn't sure how clean a hole saw would cut. After my brother and I came up with this super complex jig :wink: for holding the work piece, it went like butter. Now I have to master using it.

I thought the pic taken right after the cutting was the most interesting.

I have to admit it was kind of fun and saved me $60+.

Fr. John

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Nice job. Next time I will have to invest in a hole saw.

I took a second look at your portafilter. It looks like the base is about half as thick as the one I cut. When I did my Isomac PF, I remember it taking less time and effort than that Faema I cut.
Dave Stephens

Fr. John

#13: Post by Fr. John replying to cannonfodder »

Thank you.

I think it took about 5 minutes to make the cut. I really went slow and used a lot of cutting fluid. I'm still amazed how cleanly it cut, virtually no burr when done. A little work with a burnisher and some sand paper and it was perfect.
Fr. John

pravspresso

#14: Post by pravspresso »

Metal is much easier then i expected to work with.

Middle stage now..

Going to take 3hrs tomorrow perfect it.

Fr. John

#15: Post by Fr. John »

Too bad you didn't use a hole saw, you'd have been done in 10 minutes. 3 hours sounds like am awful long time.

Good luck though.
Fr. John

pravspresso

#16: Post by pravspresso »

Yeah..i would have..but i didn't scroll down this blog.

I just saw the first set of pics.

Otherwise..this portion took me about 10min.

I picked up a dremel all carbide bristle type brush attachment.

Tested it out on one area...cut it like butter in 30 seconds.

I'm guess-timating a solid hour to finish this up.

:)

pravspresso

#17: Post by pravspresso »

Polish it up later..

the first shot was much smoother and had a more rounded out taste (softer).

barry

#18: Post by barry »

just an fyi: if you dress up the center disk so there are no sharp edges or such nastiness, they make really good doo-dads for rugrats to play with. if you have two, they are great tiny cymbals with excellent tone. :)

arossphoto

#19: Post by arossphoto »

Fr. John wrote:I think it took about 5 minutes to make the cut. I really went slow and used a lot of cutting fluid. I'm still amazed how cleanly it cut, virtually no burr when done. A little work with a burnisher and some sand paper and it was perfect.
What size hole-saw did you use? I was looking at some at the hardware store today and some had a mandrel (a bit in the center to guide the saw) and some did not. My first thought was the mandrel would be important to keep the saw centered, but then I wondered if it would get in the way as the saw went deeper. Did you use a drill press or just hand-held?

Cheers,

Andrew

Fr. John

#20: Post by Fr. John »

The size of hole saw will depend on your PF. Mine was perfect at 2 ¼" w/ a mandrel. I wouldn't want to do it without the center bit. To guide the center bit (which is only useful until this hole saw bites then it's purely superfluous) I plugged the PF hole with a tapered dowel rod (tapered like a cork so it got tighter with pressure). That gave the centering bit something to bite into and stay centered.
Fr. John