How to clean polished stainless steel?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
coopachris

#1: Post by coopachris »

Hi all,
Just picked up a new to me Profitec Pro 300 and would like to clean it up as best I can. Before I start buying whatever stainless steel cleaner from Home Depot, I was wondering if there is any preferred cleaner or advice?

SCespresso

#2: Post by SCespresso »

A wet soft cloth should be all you need unless I am missing something. Dry cloth to finish

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

What's it dirty with?
If it's got old, yellowy grease hardened on it, you can soften the grease with WD40 (Or any light oil) and some scrubbing with a soft-plastic dish brush (Never ceramic or metal scrubbers, including the green side of one of those yellow sponges with a green scrubby side. Never scrub stainless with the green side of those sponges!) Once the grease is liquified or at lease softened up, then remove the WD40 with dish-soap and water.

jgood

#4: Post by jgood »

If there's a spot that needs attention I've had luck with "Flitz" metal polish on a rag.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

I second use WD-40; we use it all the time on our stainless steel appliances; it removes fingerprints like magic and leaves a nice even surface. We don't, however, wash it off, beyond buffing with a soft cloth. One word of caution, there are many different formulations of stainless steel. Some are harder than others. I had one coffee machine that could be scratched with a microfibre cloth. The scratches were very fine, but over time they were noticeable. My ECM Synchronika, on the other hand, seems to be made with tougher stainless, but I don't use microfibre cloths on it just in case :!:

coopachris (original poster)

#6: Post by coopachris (original poster) »

Thanks everyone, it is dirty with water spots, finger prints, and dried coffee in a few places. I'll try dish soap and water first, then Flitz if needed. Good tip on not using the green scubber on the sponge. Are there anything I should totally avoid? Like can I use window cleaner? I want to try to get it really shiny.

Oskuk

#7: Post by Oskuk »

Good quality micro fiber clth. One corner a bit wet and orthervice dry. You'll learn fast. Only warm water.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

Just gave my machine a light polish after 18 years of use. Little simichrome and a microfiber cloth.

Dave Stephens

JRising
Team HB

#9: Post by JRising »

coopachris wrote:Thanks everyone, it is dirty with water spots, finger prints, and dried coffee in a few places. I'll try dish soap and water first, then Flitz if needed. Good tip on not using the green scubber on the sponge. Are there anything I should totally avoid? Like can I use window cleaner? I want to try to get it really shiny.
FWIW, Yes.
During these Covid days, we're squirting the machines coming in with a mix of bleach and water, then immediately wiping dry. When ready for pick up, their final exterior cleaning is done with the yellow Windex that claims to kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria. That yellow Windex leaves stainless steel panels spotless.

slipchuck

#10: Post by slipchuck »

What ever you do never use magic eraser! It will dull your shine and will never go back to the original gloss

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”