How to clean an E61 dispersion screen - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mrgnomer

#11: Post by mrgnomer »

After almost a year I pulled the gasket and screen off my Vetrano. Nasty. After all that time gumming onto the group it still came off easy using a blind filter portafilter wiggle. Lock in with a blind filter, let the pressure build up just until you feel it and loosen. If you hit the pressure right the gasket lifts out. There was enough showing for me to ease the gasket and screen right out with the end of a vegetable peeler. Not a problem and no digging.

Almost a year's worth of build up there. I'll be cleaning more often now.

Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

Cathi

#12: Post by Cathi »

I'd be interested in your comments after you've had a chance to clean it in regard to improvement in taste. Bottom's up!
Cathi
LMWDP #113

mrgnomer

#13: Post by mrgnomer replying to Cathi »

Oh, it's hard to say if there was a significant difference in taste after cleaning up the screen and brew head since I'm switching roasts, blending and the extractions vary in quality. I just descaled the machine, boiler and HX, and the water tasted definitely sweeter afterwards and I think it's making for a cleaner espresso. I'm pulling more with the Cremina as well so the HX isn't getting as much use. You know how it is :wink:
Kirk
LMWDP #116

Ozark_61

#14: Post by Ozark_61 »

Kirk!

You rock! Using the blind basket to pop out the screen & gasket was waaaay easier than trying to spare my gasket with a screwdriver. Thanks for the tip. I didn't know - but on the the espressoparts.com website, it said to install the beveled (angled) edge of the gasket up. I had my gasket in flat side up since it seemed to make sense that way.. Oops!

Dan - I didn't see a sticky FAQ for home HX maintenance, but I would propose this be a part of it.

Geoff

jesawdy

#15: Post by jesawdy »

Ozark_61 wrote:You rock! Using the blind basket to pop out the screen & gasket was waaaay easier than trying to spare my gasket with a screwdriver.
This is the way I like to do it as well after seeing the suggestion. I discussed it a bit in the Bench thread - Quick Mill Alexia - Dispersion screen
Dan - I didn't see a sticky FAQ for home HX maintenance, but I would propose this be a part of it.
This thread and others about E61 screens and gaskets are in the E61 section of the Espresso Gear FAQs and Favorites.
Jeff Sawdy

mrgnomer

#16: Post by mrgnomer »

Ozark_61 wrote:Kirk!

You rock! Using the blind basket to pop out the screen & gasket was waaaay easier than trying to spare my gasket with a screwdriver. Thanks for the tip. I didn't know - but on the the espressoparts.com website, it said to install the beveled (angled) edge of the gasket up. I had my gasket in flat side up since it seemed to make sense that way.. Oops!

Geoff
I was surprised how well it works too.

Someone suggested the bevel is up or against the gouphead to allow a space to hook a tool under to pull the gasket out. Makes sense. The bevel might be there to allow for compression as well.
Kirk
LMWDP #116

RegulatorJohnson

#17: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

i highly recommend takin the screen out. its easy and fun. i use an ikea demi-spoon to pry it off. the spoon it my go-to tool of choice also for cleaning out the mazzer chute.

enjoy
jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

Ozark_61

#18: Post by Ozark_61 »

I wouldn't bother prying the gasket out or the screen - it's not hard to damage those and it's far less risky to pop it out with the blind filter. The espresso parts page at: http://espressoparts2.zoovy.com/categor ... intenance/ had good instructions for installing the gasket. Basically, use the portafilter without the basket to pop the dispersion screen with the gasket on already, wind it in, then put the basket back in the portafilter and then tighten it on. Believe it or not, I was using the other end of a toothbrush before to try to cram it back up in the gh... :lol:

Geoff