How often to empty driptray on new La Marzocco GS3 MP?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

I'm expecting my new GS3 MP to be delivered this week. For several reasons I am hoping not to plumb it out. It will be plumbed in, just like the MP I've had for 9 years.

I know there will be a lot more exhaust into the tray. Can anyone who has a non-plumbed out new-style (conical valve) MP tell me how often I can expect to have to empty the drip tray? Assume two espressos a day. Thanks for any help.
Marshall
Los Angeles

jerbear00

#2: Post by jerbear00 »

I've been curious about this as well

bettysnephew

#3: Post by bettysnephew »

FWIW, I think you may be living dangerously. I recently had to reconsider what I was doing with my machine and the FloJet supply which has much less potential of disaster than yours. I was putting 3 gallons of water in the supply carboy and only had a one gallon waste container. If there was a failure of a solenoid or whatever I had the potential of pumping 2 gallons onto the floor. With a plumbed in machine but not plumbed out the potential of a massive cleanup is much higher in the event of a failure. And eventually all machines fail.

I now have a 2.5 gallon waste container and limit my supply carboy fill to 2 gallons. No chance of overflow as long as I empty the waste container when I fill the supply.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

keepitsimple

#4: Post by keepitsimple replying to bettysnephew »

A flood detector with auto water shutoff is a sensible addition to any plumbed in machine, even if plumbed out as well.
Thankfully mine hasn't been put to the test yet.....and I hope it well never will, but then..... :|

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn

WWBeagle

#6: Post by WWBeagle »

keepitsimple wrote:A flood detector with auto water shutoff is a sensible addition to any plumbed in machine, even if plumbed out as well.
Thankfully mine hasn't been put to the test yet.....and I hope it well never will, but then..... :|
I agree - high tech flood detectors with wifi and water shut off are great. But now there are really cheap alternatives everyone should have regardless of their setup. Amazon lists three to five packs of battery powered water leak alarms from $25 to $40 a pack. At about $8 each for audio leak alarms, its a no brainer. Some have the sensor built into the bottom of the unit and some have a wire that permits the sensor to be located 44" away. Even with a fancy high tech flood detector, these are great back ups. When it comes to water, belt and suspenders.

Marshall (original poster)

#7: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

I understand threads go off topic, but didn't think this one would go off course so quickly. I know the pros and cons of not plumbing out and just hoped someone could answer my question.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Aguirre

#8: Post by Aguirre »

I empty and clean mine once a day, at night. But that's because I like a clean machine (even the parts I don't see). I have roughly the same output - 2 espressos a day.

I believe it could go without emptying for maybe 3 or 4 days.

Marshall (original poster)

#9: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

Thank you so much. I can live with that!
Marshall
Los Angeles

smite

#10: Post by smite »

Hi Marshall,

The machine is brilliant by the way. In my experience with 2-4 doubles a day, I would say depending on the way you pull shots you may want to plan on dumping it out every other day at the longest. For example if you pull shots with super long pre infusion using a lower pressure for a longer time will result in a larger amounts of water dumping into the drip tray vs a short preinfusion and pulling the shots mostly at full pressure.