How often do you change your showerscreen? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
HB
Admin

#11: Post by HB »

gyro wrote:I was simply surprised by the difference, visually.
I'm not a physics major, but liquid motion isn't always intuitive, as these videos vividly demonstrate:
Dan Kehn

gyro (original poster)

#12: Post by gyro (original poster) »

In the interest of science, I might need to get medieval on it in the morning then!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

I have never changed a screen unless I was doing a full restoration on a machine. All of my machines are still running the original screen. The screens get changed when I get a new machine. My Elektra requires frequent dispersion block cleaning. I take the screen and block off about once a month and they soak in JoeGlo for an hour, get a good scrubbing, rinsing and then put back on. I do see a difference in the water dispersion after the cleaning. Never tried putting a screen over flame, got a gas range in the new house so I guess I could give it a try one day but it would probably stink up the house. A propane burner on a gas grill or a propane torch outside would probably work just as good and not stink up the house.
Dave Stephens

Psyd

#14: Post by Psyd »

HB wrote:Jon's suggestion to burn it clean should eliminate that possibility.
It's pronounced "Chris", but sure, whatever, as long as you don't call me late for a macchiatto... :)

And I've never really had issues with it 'stinkin' up the house, but the propane torch Dave pondered would work just as well. A gas stove just heats it more evenly, and there's no worries about melting a hole through it! :D

Really, there is just a coupla wisps of smoke and then it's as smelly as heating a pot to boil water. Ya know, unless o'course it's a grimy greasy mess to start with. Then you soak it in Cafiza or similar before you set fire to it.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Marshall_S

#15: Post by Marshall_S »

I couldn't get the "before and after" pictures out of my head and I decided to remove and clean the gasket and screen on my Anita. I was hesitant only because I had a heck of a time getting my new gasket in (about 6 months ago).

Anyhow, I went for it, cleaned them both very thoroughly and I had the exact same experience.

Although it was not all that dirty inside, the water flow was as dramatically improved as in the pictures.

As a bonus, my gasket went in easily (I'm assuming because it's not as stiff as it was when it was brand new).

Thanks for the tip - I'll be doing this every few months from now on.
LMWDP#384

dsc

#16: Post by dsc »

Hi guys,

are you simply checking the flow visually or measuring how much water you're getting per 10s/60s as well?

If it's only a visual check I suggest doing a measurement as well, both with the PF off and with it on. It might also be a good test to see how extractions flow, lower flow with one screen at 0bar might not mean lower flow under 9bar.

Regards,
dsc.

WR

#17: Post by WR »

Funny, after a chemical backflush this morning, i remembered reading this thread and pulled my shower screen and of course it was still caked with the residue that i couldn't remove from multiple prior detergent soaks and i thought i'd give the stove a try. At first a little smoke, good... next thing i know the darn things in flames! I pull it off and it's just disgusting... all black and covered in char... must've been the trapped oils in the gunk? Anyway, if you go this route, don't despair at the unsightly mess you'll have if you stop too soon. Just keep heating until the screen turns red, seriously, you'll eventually burn off all the residue. A plus is that you'll give your screen this amazing, tricked out custom torched patina! Part of me wants to torch my entire Vetrano housing it would be beautiful (or horrible if it didn't come out like you want it to)... anyway, all's good with my screen which hasn't flowed this well since the machine was new.

zin1953

#18: Post by zin1953 »

In the FWIW mode, whenever I soak my portafilters and baskets in Joe Glo (or Cafiza or the Equivalent), I also soak the shower screen (and the diffusion block). After soaking, I scrub it with this brush (and the diffusion block with this). Haven't had any flow problems . . .

Just my 2¢; YMMV . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Psyd

#19: Post by Psyd »

WR wrote: it was still caked with the residue... ...next thing i know the darn things in flames!
Yeah, ya wanna give it a little soak and scrub before you light the thing on fire.

Both methods work, mind you. Yours is a tiny bit more exciting (and I might even prefer it), but ya might wanna warn the dogs and the missuss.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175