How much coffee for Rancilio bottomless portafilter?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
whitedime

#1: Post by whitedime »

on a silvia ?

Shife

#2: Post by Shife »

The portafilter isn't really relevant. The basket is. What basket are you using with your bottomless handle?

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Given that the Rancilio Silvia is the most discussed espresso machine on the planet, I recommend reviewing the forum search tips. Failing to find a topic that has not been discussed 10x before is as likely as winning the lottery.

Assuming you have stock equipment, I searched on "dose for stock rancilio silvia basket". Surprisingly How many grams in stock rancilio basket wasn't on the first page, but there were plenty of thoughtful discussions on related subjects. Searching on "how much coffee for rancilio silvia" yielded a lot of the same discussions like Rancilio double basket capacity and tamping and How to dose in Rancilio Silvia / bottomless portafilter.

More directly to your question, I start with a 16 gram dose for Faema-style baskets like the one that comes stock with the Rancilio Silvia, then follow Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste. You'll find Silvia specific tips in the Rancilio Silvia Review, especially in the associated research thread. As a final reminder, if you haven't done so already, I recommend reviewing the Newbie Introduction to Espresso video series and Jim's The Home Barista's Guide to Espresso.
Dan Kehn