How many tampers do you own? - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?

How many tampers do you own?

27%
31%
18%
6%
5 or more
18%

Total votes: 249

r-gordon-7

#21: Post by r-gordon-7 »

I have two (one for each of my two Gaggia Factory lever machines)...

One of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Long-Handle-E ... m153.l1262

And one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heavy-Stainless-Ste ... m153.l1262

They're from HaiPham at "Precision Tamper Maker" (available through e-bay). I'm very pleased with the quality of his work - as well as the speed with which he fills orders. He makes quite a few different models (seems he's been expanding his line with new models all year) and each model is highly customizeable as to base diameter and choice of convex or flat bottom. The difference between the two I have is that the first has a stainless steel base and an aluminum handle. The second is all stainless steel and much heavier - a full pound. The second is a newer design. I love the extra heft - and may eventually replace the older aluminum/stainless steel model with a second all stainless steel...

BTW, both tampers actually look much nicer in person than what appear to be the "CAD" and "semi-CAD" images he posts and I've uploaded. (At some point I'll take/upload actual photos of mine, but presently, I'm at work with one tamper at home and the other at the beach house...)

r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7
LMWDP #188

Advertisement
sweaner

#22: Post by sweaner »

Richard, if you love those tampers so much, maybe this item would interest you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... WLIST#LIST
Scott
LMWDP #248

r-gordon-7

#23: Post by r-gordon-7 »

Thanks, Scott - Very interesting... :idea:

Let's see... $95,000.000 - at, let's say, an average charge of $20 per tamper (a reasonable figure - some of his tampers sell for more, some for less) - and one would "only" have to sell a mere 4,750 tampers to cover the cost of the machine (ignoring all other costs, such as raw materials, etc...) I think I'll pass. No, I think I'll order that second 1 lb tamper while he's still in business...

"How many tampers... " indeed :!: :!:

r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7
LMWDP #188

JonS

#24: Post by JonS »

2 x RB tall handles (one black delron, the other an older HasBean branded one) the black delron one is easily the best, finish and comfort-wise
RB s/s bases: Flat (58mm) US curve (58mm) Euro curve (58mm, 57mm) C-flat (58mm)

Iberital tamper (like Darren's) 57-point-something mm

Thor triple play 58mm flat

Isomac double-ended aluminium (my first: way too small for a 58mm basket)

I do use different ones for different baskets, but I have to confess that for my particular E61 machines, I find I get the best general results with the RB Euro curves to be honest, even though I tell myself it shouldn't matter and keep trying the others...

Jon

IMAWriter

#25: Post by IMAWriter »

Cheapo 58mm Lava for Mazzer neck usage
Custom Reg Bubinga 49.3mm flat
Custom Richard Penney 49.4mm very slight convex
Oh yeah, a extra Reg 51mm brass "Cflat piston

Guess that makes 3.5, not the 3 I indicated by my earlier "vote."
Geez, election fraud on HB :lol:

networkcrasher

#26: Post by networkcrasher »

1.5 RB Bubinga/RB Logo with a 58.2mm c-flat and 58mm flat base
1 Espro 58 flat

sweaner

#27: Post by sweaner »

"Cheapo" 58mm Lava convex for espresso use.

Even Cheapo-er dual sided aluminum tamper for grinder neck and for my Presso....the small side is a perfect fit.

By the way, how do those C-flat tampers seem to work.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#28: Post by cannonfodder »

A Reg Barber, HB branded Reg Barber, LaForza with the column piston, a lava tamp, another Reg, a generic rosewood, handles change. I have a lathe so I turn my own to suite my taste.
Dave Stephens

narc

#29: Post by narc »

Four, but only use two as tampers. Plus one RegBarber 48mm flat base. The 1st nice tamper ever purchased was the Vivace Ergo 58mm. It now sits as a weight in the mini-hopper of the MaCap MX. The two I use are a 49mm RegBarber for the Elektra Micro Casa a Leva and a 44.?mm RegBarber for the Ponte Vecchio Lusso 2. The other is a 45mm RegBarber. Bit too tight for the Lusso.
LMWDP #151

CoffeeOwl

#30: Post by CoffeeOwl »

cannonfodder wrote:I have a lathe so I turn my own to suite my taste.
How do they taste? :wink:
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199