How does the PID on Breville Dual Boiler work?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kinda-niche

#1: Post by kinda-niche »

Basically, as the title says, but here's the context for what I mean. Once my BDB reaches the set temperature, say 90 deg C, the ready lights always stay on no matter what change I make. This happens even when I flush the group head to get rid of the 90 deg C water (say when I'm lowering the temperature, where this step is really necessary). So how do I know when the machine has finished heating and reached the new temperature? Am I missing something basic? Do I need to flush a lot more water than, say, for about 10 seconds and wait for the ready lights to turn off (and then on again)?

cmin

#2: Post by cmin »

When you set new temp the BDB reacts pretty damn quickly up or down. Even today I made various changes from 200 to 205 as I have a hard Mexican S.O. that's been tricky to dial even with slayer mod. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your saying but when you change temp, it's damn near within seconds on this machine, the screen shows your temp setting.

Although I'm not sure what you mean by it stuck, if it's staying at X temp something is amiss.

*sigh*

#3: Post by *sigh* »

kinda-niche wrote:Basically, as the title says, but here's the context for what I mean. Once my BDB reaches the set temperature, say 90 deg C, the ready lights always stay on no matter what change I make. This happens even when I flush the group head to get rid of the 90 deg C water (say when I'm lowering the temperature, where this step is really necessary). So how do I know when the machine has finished heating and reached the new temperature? Am I missing something basic? Do I need to flush a lot more water than, say, for about 10 seconds and wait for the ready lights to turn off (and then on again)?
Yeah I have similar experiences. As cmin mentioned it does adjust rather quickly. If I'm bumping the temperature up by the time I've prepped a shot it's plenty warm, if I'm dropping down more than a degree or two (F) I'll do a slightly longer flush just to give it some help.

If you flush a really long time it will start flashing again for the heatup, so it doesn't always stay in "ready" mode but as you've observed that takes a pretty large change, but I'd say make your temp adjustment, prep your shot and you'll be where you want to be.

kinda-niche (original poster)

#4: Post by kinda-niche (original poster) »

Great, thank you, Chris and Nick. That's exactly what I was asking -- it seems that the temperature readjustment is rather quick on this machine (maybe not surprising given how quickly it heats up from room temperature) and I just was not expecting that kind of speed.

(**At some point, I will indeed measure the live temperature of flushes after I readjust parameters, but I have been too lazy to do that so far.)

*sigh*

#5: Post by *sigh* replying to kinda-niche »

You're welcome! I definitely had similar thoughts when I first got mine. It's definitely a bug advantage of the small brew boiler, large enough to be stable for a shot but small enough for quick adjustment.

I'll be curious to see your results when you eventually confirm the live temps!

cmin

#6: Post by cmin »

kinda-niche wrote:Great, thank you, Chris and Nick. That's exactly what I was asking -- it seems that the temperature readjustment is rather quick on this machine (maybe not surprising given how quickly it heats up from room temperature) and I just was not expecting that kind of speed.

(**At some point, I will indeed measure the live temperature of flushes after I readjust parameters, but I have been too lazy to do that so far.)
The group is actively heated by a separate heater, that's why the machine is so quick to warm up and is extremely temp stable even profiling with Slayer mod. I didn't do side by side but I had a modded GS3. Other owners that have scace'd and tested said it was as good as that and high end commercial machines as far as temp stability.