How do you keep your espresso machine clean? (and scratch free?!)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
gogetcreative

#1: Post by gogetcreative »

I recently got myself and lovely Rocket Appartamento & Eureka Mignon:

Absolute chuffed with the setup (still trying to perfect my quantities, grind settings etc.).

I'm wondering how people keep their machines clean and tidy?? (especially the highly-polished chrome machines)

And does anybody have any tips for keeping them scratch free?? (or is it a case of accepting its going to happen?)

Thanks all!

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE »

High quality micro fiber clothes for clean up. And DONT accidentally bump the group head with the PF. They are very soft and it dents easily.

Learned the hard way shortly after getting my e61 and getting a bit rushed...
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Yep. The only thing that should touch the entire surface of the machine is microfiber towels. You can dampen them with a good burst of steam or hot water and wipe the whole machine once in a while. I sold a Duetto and a Strega both about 2-ish years old and they both looked brand new except the drip tray, from doing this.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

Accepting that it's going to happen is best. Enjoy the machine without worrying about every little thing!

that being said I also clean with micros. The cups will scratch the top.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

A cut-up Silicone baking sheet keeps porcelain cups from scratching the stainless cup warmer. Another piece of the same sheet can be fitted on top of the drip tray grate to prevent scratches there.

(However, I don't warm my cups anymore, and, as I don't like cleaning all the time, I use a terrycloth hand towel draped over the front of the machine to catch the occasional spritz out of the naked portafilter. The towel is wrapped around the taps and group to form a bib, draping over the drip tray. (I use a separate container to catch drips instead of the drip tray.) Not pretty.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

gogetcreative (original poster)

#6: Post by gogetcreative (original poster) »

TomC wrote:Yep. The only thing that should touch the entire surface of the machine is microfiber towels. You can dampen them with a good burst of steam or hot water and wipe the whole machine once in a while. I sold a Duetto and a Strega both about 2-ish years old and they both looked brand new except the drip tray, from doing this.
Did you just accept that the drip tray was going to get a few scratches? My drip tray already has one or two hairline scratches and its only a month old (I've tried to be so so careful).

idrinkjetfuel

#7: Post by idrinkjetfuel »

Really like the Cafelat microfiber towels. Nice and thick and they won't fall apart after a few washes. I use the grey ones for the steam wand and pitcher (milk) and black ones for group head and tray. You don't want to use towels which contact milk to wipe down the machine. Glass cleaner is okay, but only if the machine is cold, otherwise the cleaner will leave streaks. You really only need to use a slightly damp microfiber towel while the machine is still warm and any splatter should come off easily. If water stains appear, try some vinegar. Worst case scenario, some very fine stainless polish.

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

gogetcreative wrote:Did you just accept that the drip tray was going to get a few scratches? My drip tray already has one or two hairline scratches and its only a month old (I've tried to be so so careful).
Basically, yes. If you want to place another microfiber towel down over the whole thing and only flush into a plastic tub, you can stave off the scratches. But even sliding around plastic digital scales under the group will start laying down scuffs and scratches.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

trumz

#9: Post by trumz »

I found this old thread about cleaning the outside of the machine with a solution of lemon juice and water.
Lemon juice for cleaning the exterior case

AssafL

#10: Post by AssafL »

baldheadracing wrote:A cut-up Silicone baking sheet keeps porcelain cups from scratching the stainless cup warmer. Another piece of the same sheet can be fitted on top of the drip tray grate to prevent scratches there.
If the top has ventilation holes - Covering them with Silicone is not a good idea. I will shorten the service life of the machine.

We bought a stainless steel table - it came with the understanding that not only will it be scratched, we will have to like it when it develops as character. Otherwise we become slaves to the kitchen table. And the stainless steel sink.

Remember that a shiny, scratch free wrench is a tool not used. Use it and enjoy it - and if you really must - a buffing wheel with rouge does wonders...
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.