How do you fill the water tank of your espresso machine?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
photobillyli

#1: Post by photobillyli »

I had been using Bezzera Strega for a few years. A few months ago, I moved to Rocket R60V.

I love the new machine but I am a bit annoyed by the water reservoir problem.

Due to the restriction of my home, I cannot do plumb in and water reservoir is the only option for supplying water for my espresso machine.

While I was using Strega, since the water reservoir is lager (I don't have the data but it seems to be) and no back-flush requirement for a spring lever machine, a full water reservoir can supply water for more than a week of my need. (I usually make three to four espresso a day).

However, the R60V, having a smaller water reservoir and the need of backflushing, the machine runs out of water much quicker than before.

So here comes to my two questions:
1. The machine stops running when it runs out of water, it is so frustrating if it happens during a shot.... So is there any method to indicate the water level in the reservoir without opening the lid and looking into it?

2. Do you guys take out the reservoir and fill it up with water and then put it back into the machine or do you pour fresh water into the reservoir without pulling out the reservoir from the machine?

I am looking for a better way to satisfy the water need of my R60V...
Thank you so much.

Billy

chipman

#2: Post by chipman »

I don't take the reservoir out of my Duetto. I pour the water directly in. As for running out of water. I check mine every other day in the morning. Depending how much you use yours the timing may be diferent for you.

belegnole

#3: Post by belegnole »

My Bezzera BZ07 has good access to the water tank. I too check it every few days and don't remove it when filling.

I use a funnel to aid in filling. If the machine was under a cabinet I would use a funnel with a hose (beer bong).
LMWDP #641

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

I've posted about this somewhere before. I have the same problem. My old machine was shorter than my current one. My espresso bar was designed for the old one. The fill cover does not fully open for the new one. I built a small-diameter filler out of clear plastic hardware hose. It fits over the end of my water supply (in my case a drinking water spigot). I put the free end of the hoe in the top of the reservoir and turn on the spigot. It looks like this:

I also built a gadget out of wine store tubing and more plastic hose to show how much water is in the reservoir, but, frankly, I never use it. It is so simple to just use the hose to top up the reservoir every day or two that I never run out of water since I started using it.

I saw another innovative solution. It's a flat funnel. 1st line equipment sells it.

slybarman

#5: Post by slybarman »

Nunas wrote: I saw another innovative solution. It's a flat funnel. 1st line equipment sells it.
You beat me to this. It comes with the Cuadra and works great. I don't know why every machine doesn't come with one.

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/la-nuova-e ... reservoir/

The photo on the website doesn't do it justice because it is upside down. You lay it flat across the top of your machine and pour water in the front and it runs down to the water reservoir in back.

mckolit

#6: Post by mckolit »

I top off the reservoir on my machine every other day. I use my pourover kettle to control the pour.

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Before our machine was direct plumbed and drained, I used an automotive oil-filling funnel.

Worked like a charm.

YMMV

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

thesharpener

#8: Post by thesharpener »

1. The machine stops running when it runs out of water, it is so frustrating if it happens during a shot.... So is there any method to indicate the water level in the reservoir without opening the lid and looking into it?
On my Pasquini Livietta, the sound of the vibe pump changes when the water tank starts getting low (actually I don't think the pump sound changes, but the resonance of the frame and case changes), but I just open the lid and check every morning and top off with fresh water as needed.
2. Do you guys take out the reservoir and fill it up with water and then put it back into the machine or do you pour fresh water into the reservoir without pulling out the reservoir from the machine?
I fill directly into my machine without removing the reservoir. I used to use a beer bong like contraption to reach the reservoir due to low cabinets, but recently I put small nylon furniture sliders under the feet of my machine and slide it out to refill, and then slide it back.
Pete - LMWDP #572

slipchuck

#9: Post by slipchuck »

I fill mine every second day right out of the 4 liter jug that I mix my water with

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

photobillyli (original poster)

#10: Post by photobillyli (original poster) »

Thank you so much for these great ideas!