How do I polish scratches on mirrored stainless steel

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jasper_8137

#1: Post by Jasper_8137 »

Anyone have any suggestions how to buff out very fine scratches on the stainless of my LMLM? I cleaned it with a soft cotton towel and bar keepers friend and now have very fine scratches on the mirrored surface.
Thoughts?

wsfarrell

#2: Post by wsfarrell »

There are several polishes out there that will do the job. I like Mother's Mag, available at any auto store. Made for aluminum and magnesium, it's the best stainless polish I've ever used. Remember: "There's no shine like Mother's!"

Advertisement
Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

I would say, leave it alone. It would likely be a lot of work to do well and evenly/consistently so that there are not areas with more shine or a different sheen. And the next time a rough fingertip, or even repeated fingernail brushes around a control show up you are right back at it again. If you take a dog to a fight it's going to come back with some scars.

Was it the powder or the liquid?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Jasper_8137 (original poster)

#4: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

Powder, but I made a paste on the cloth then used it.

Jb3

#5: Post by Jb3 »

I used a headlight restore kit on the backsplash of my old Silvia. It turned the brushed stainless steel into a polished mirror finish. Here's a pic
★ Helpful

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

Jorge, that looks great!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

MNate

#7: Post by MNate »

Jb3 wrote:I used a headlight restore kit on the backsplash of my old Silvia. It turned the brushed stainless steel into a polished mirror finish. Here's a pic
<image>
Wow, that is impressive. I'm going to have to try this. Any further hints? Did you remove the pieces to do this or do it with the machine altogether?

Advertisement
Jb3

#8: Post by Jb3 »

You'll want to remove any pieces you want to polish. The kit comes with the different grades of sandpaper, polishing compound and the drill attachment. It really helps with cleaning the annoying espresso specks that get on the backsplash.

mrjag

#9: Post by mrjag »

There's a lot of automotive polish compounds available for metal parts, particularly for getting a mirror finish on exhaust pipes.

Donguanella

#10: Post by Donguanella »

You can also find someone in your area to re-polish it for you (provided you're up for some disassembly). I had the front pieces of my GS3 repolished and it was about $100.

Now nothing but microfiber cloths touch my espresso gear!