How do I polish scratches on mirrored stainless steel - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
undotcom

#11: Post by undotcom »

Second the vote on Mothers

I just used to reduce the scratches (from warming cups in the tray) on the top of my Silvano with great success.

I can also say I've seen other forums on the topic of cleaning stainless in general, talking about success with headlight cleaners as mentioned above

Good luck!

Paul_Pratt

#12: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Jb3 wrote:I used a headlight restore kit on the backsplash of my old Silvia. It turned the brushed stainless steel into a polished mirror finish. Here's a pic
<image>
That is amazing work. Really well done.

How long did it take?

Jb3

#13: Post by Jb3 »

I don't remember it taking very long. The kit comes with gradual sandpaper grits and since you are using a drill for the sanding and polishing there's not much elbow grease needed. I decided to use the kit since I was going from brushed stainless steel to polished. I'm not sure if I would've gotten the same results with just polish.

Dopey32

#14: Post by Dopey32 »

undotcom wrote:Second the vote on Mothers

I just used to reduce the scratches (from warming cups in the tray) on the top of my Silvano with great success.

I can also say I've seen other forums on the topic of cleaning stainless in general, talking about success with headlight cleaners as mentioned above

Good luck!
Thank you. This is quite helpful

ash4889

#15: Post by ash4889 »

Jb3 wrote:I used a headlight restore kit on the backsplash of my old Silvia. It turned the brushed stainless steel into a polished mirror finish. Here's a pic
<image>
Really nice job.....
Could you give me the manufactures name of product, also did you also use an electric buffer with it or by hand?

cafe22

#16: Post by cafe22 »

i've used mothers chrome polish over the years and it works great to give the machine an uplift in shine.

Jb3

#17: Post by Jb3 »

ash4889 wrote:Really nice job.....
Could you give me the manufactures name of product, also did you also use an electric buffer with it or by hand?
I used the 3M kit with an electric drill.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AIZ5HY/re ... WCbHKK9H64

slipchuck

#18: Post by slipchuck replying to Jb3 »

Corded drill will likely do a better job as it can spin quicker

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

CoolBeanz

#19: Post by CoolBeanz »

I polish metal at work on a macro level (mass spectrometers) and we use something called autosol. German product that looks like a tube of toothpaste. Its worked great for me when polishing the metal bits I work on :)