How Cleanliness Affects E61 Performance and Shot Quality

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bgm1911

#1: Post by bgm1911 »

I had an unusual experience with my E61:

I turned my Vetrano on this morning and let it warm up. The very first shot was so bad I had to spit it out. In the two months owning the machine, no shot has ever been that bad.

I go for a second shot, but now used the bottomless PF. The start of the extraction took several seconds longer, turned translucent very quickly, and only produced 20g in 30 secs where normally I would have 40g. This shot was just as bad as the first.

I have changed nothing from my previous day. I don't get it.

The third and fourth shots are exactly like the first two, but this time I noticed the pump pressure is fluctuating up to 10.5 from the solid 9 bar I've been seeing for 2 months.

I call for service, and explain what has happened. The suggestion was to make sure every thing was clean.

So I clean the group, and then run a final/lubricating shot though. Eventually the pressure seems to have stabilized, and several shots have been drinkable.

Is this typical performance from an E61 when they become dirty? (and yes, I have used cleaner before, with many more flushes with the backflush disc)

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

I have never had that experience and I've had my machine for about a year and a half. I pull down the shower screen frequently to clean but the behavior you describe sounds like a grinder issue. hard to say though.

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

I pull down the shower screen frequently to clean . . .
A big plus for that because not only is it easy to do but it gets easier as time goes by.

Here is a good tool for removing the shower screen and grouphead gasket:

Soak the screen and gasket for 30-45 minutes in hot water with about a tablespoon of cleaner (Cafiza, Joe-Glo, etc., etc.) in 4 ounces of hot water. Dip a cloth or paper towel in the liquid and clean the underside surfaces of the grouphead. Here's hoping your machine does not approach this (not mine):

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

Thanks for elaborating Eric, I also use the cloth with cafiza to clean the exposed parts after taking the screen down. I have included my favorite tool to remove the screen ;)

http://pedros.com/products/tools/wheel- ... re-levers/

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

I just use my blind basket to remove the screen on an e61. It's always near by and works just fine.

earlgrey_44

#6: Post by earlgrey_44 »

bgm1911 wrote:
...so bad I had to spit it out.

Is this typical performance from an E61 when they become dirty? (and yes, I have used cleaner before, with many more flushes with the backflush disc)
To Mikes direct question, the direct answer is yes. A dirty machine will introduce bitter, nasty off flavor. It doesn't take long for this to happen. Water back flushes help slow the development of the problem a little, but don't fix it. Dropping the screen and cleaning a couple times a week is very good advice. There are a number of threads easily searched that give all possible detail on e-61 cleaning.

The pressure and flow variation you saw are likely unrelated to cleanliness. Refine your cleaning routine and you will be better able to diagnose taste variation due to other causes.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

JLC

#7: Post by JLC »

erics wrote:A big plus for that because not only is it easy to do but it gets easier as time goes by.

Here is a good tool for removing the shower screen and grouphead gasket:
What is this tool and where can I order one?

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

It is a paint can lid remover. The fender washer which has a flat ground on it is for removing the dispersion screw. The paint can tool is available at any hardware store and possibly a freebie at a paint store you frequent.
Skål,

Eric S.

spearfish25

#9: Post by spearfish25 »

This is what my mind saw when Erics shared his screen removal tool.

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

This is what my mind saw when Erics shared his screen removal tool.
YIKES! but very good.

More later, as it is time to count the sheep.
Skål,

Eric S.