Home Espresso Setup Advice

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rg60614

#1: Post by rg60614 »

I have a Linea Mini and a Niche Zero and am redoing my kitchen, dining, and living room. I've seen the Home Espresso Setup Photos thread and love all the setups but wanted to ask for advice for what to set up. I've got a 5 feet wide space where I can put a table or a cabinet or some type of sideboard for my coffee setup and possibly some shelves on the wall above/behind it for keeping glasses or other related things. Since a lot of people have probably gone through the same process before, I wanted to ask for advice and suggestions on a few things:
1. what type of table/side/cabinet would you recommend? regular cabinet depth or something shallower?
2. I'm thinking of putting in a narrow bar sink, or possibly just one of those glass rinsers with a drain so I can wash my cup and pitcher, use it to pour leftover milk from the pitcher instead of going back and forth from my kitchen sink. Thoughts?
3. Get my Linea Mini plumbed in or not since I'm running a water/drain line anyway for the sink?
4. Anything else I should think about as I have a blank-ish slate :)

Thanks!

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

If you've got space for a rinser, that's something I know I'd appreciate myself. If you've got warm water, that's a plus on cold mornings. The one thing I miss about my E61 is its heat for my cold hands.

I like prep space in front of the machine. Counter height isn't regulated. Decide what works for you and if something non-standard is worth fabrication complexity.

I have closed cabinets above head height which I enjoy using for cups, scale, notebook, ... "Deadly height" is above eye level but not high enough to clear your head.

A decade ago I would have said "plumb in". These days, with the realization that non-scaling water can dramatically reduce maintenance, I'm much less certain about that.

Pressino

#3: Post by Pressino »

Jeff wrote:A decade ago I would have said "plumb in". These days, with the realization that non-scaling water can dramatically reduce maintenance, I'm much less certain about that.
For plumbed in machines you should install an in-line water filter (like the BWT which removes scale-forming calcium and exchanges it with magnesium). Even for a tank reservoir machine you should still be either using ion-exchange filtered water or distilled/mineral free water supplemented with magnesium and bicarbonate buffer. Distilled/mineral free water is bad for the machine (leads to corrosion of metal lines and boilers) and doesn't make coffee that tastes particularly good. :D

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

rg60614 wrote:<snip>I wanted to ask for advice and suggestions on a few things:
1. what type of table/side/cabinet would you recommend? regular cabinet depth or something shallower?
I went with a regular base cabinet and I'm glad I did. Anything narrower would have been a problem when I switched from a Magister to a Synchronika; the Synk is deeper. I put two 8" deep display "floating" shelves above on the wall. I should have gone with 10" and the lower one should have been higher. If you don't want display shelves, then definitely go with upper cabinets, but mounted higher than usual. Measure twice...install once :wink:
2. I'm thinking of putting in a narrow bar sink, or possibly just one of those glass rinsers with a drain so I can wash my cup and pitcher, use it to pour leftover milk from the pitcher instead of going back and forth from my kitchen sink. Thoughts?
Absolutely! I did likewise (small bar sink) and use it every day.
3. Get my Linea Mini plumbed in or not since I'm running a water/drain line anyway for the sink?
I was going to plumb, but could not bring myself to drill holes in a perfectly good Ubatuba countertop. In the end, placed the machine right next to the sink and installed a bit of clear plastic tubing from the drain sump to the edge of the sink. I did not plumb in the water, as I like to experiment with different formulations.
4. Anything else I should think about as I have a blank-ish slate :)
I ran in two 20-amp lines with double duplex outlets on each. That works fine for me, but if I were doing it again, I think I'd run in a 240 with a neutral on one of them. Then, I could just ignore the extra 120-volt hot wire and have the 120-outlets that I have, or I could rewire by dropping the neutral and using the second hot wire to get 240-volts.

rg60614 (original poster)

#5: Post by rg60614 (original poster) »

Thanks for confirming some of my choices.
Nunas wrote: I ran in two 20-amp lines with double duplex outlets on each. That works fine for me, but if I were doing it again, I think I'd run in a 240 with a neutral on one of them. Then, I could just ignore the extra 120-volt hot wire and have the 120-outlets that I have, or I could rewire by dropping the neutral and using the second hot wire to get 240-volts.
What would the 240V line be useful for?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

Suppose you buy a European machine. For example, I have a Caravel that came with a 220-volt element. I switched it over to a 120 by buying a new heater, but I could have plugged it in if I had a 220-volt line. If you are only going to use domestic equipment, it would not be useful, but pulling in a 3-wire (120-0-120, Red Wht Blk) line instead of a 2-wire line would cost very little more.