High brew pressure and discharge during brewing

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
B_KOIE

#1: Post by B_KOIE »

I have the Profitec Pro 700 and the following question.

I notice that during an espresso shot 2 things happen: 1. Brew pressure goes way up to almost max - 16 Bar and 2. Water pour out from the discharge nozzle in the front on the machine (behind the brew group).

I opened the top and can see there are 2 connections to the discharge nozzle - one from the steam boiler OPV and one from the OPV behind the brew boiler connected to the pump. The water seem to run from the OPV behind the brew boiler to the discharge nozzle during brewing - so problem seem not related to the steam boiler OPV.

Any ideas or suggestions for repair ?

Thanks
Benjamin

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Sounds like the rotary pump needs to be adjusted; see these instructions from the FAQ. Or it's direct plumbed and the inlet pressure is much too high. The over-pressure valve is opening to prevent the hydraulics system from being subjected to excessive pressure. It really should open at 12 bar, not 16 bar as you're observing.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
B_KOIE (original poster)

#3: Post by B_KOIE (original poster) »

Thanks HB for your reply and suggestions.

Since this is a problem that occurred recently and the machine was running fine prior to that I suspect that some part stopped functioning correctly.

The machine is directly plumbed and from the other water faucets in the house I didn't notice a change in water pressure. Regarding brewing pressure the gauge dial max out at 16 bar...and it max out...so might be higher than that. Also I noticed the pressure does not go down to zero when releasing the lever after the shot. It remain around 3 bar.

Thanks
Benjamin

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I assume the 3 bar is your inlet line pressure; that sounds about right for typical homes. It's possible that the rotary pump's bypass valve is stuck closed, so you're seeing the pump's maximum output pressure. That's high enough that you risk damaging the machine's hydraulic components.
Dan Kehn

B_KOIE (original poster)

#5: Post by B_KOIE (original poster) »

Thanks again HB

Sounds like it might be a possibility that the valve is stuck. Anyway I can fix myself or will it have to be done by a professional ?

I assume this could be what you are talking about - at the 3.42 mark
Best
Benjamin

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

No, I mean the relief valve/relief valve spring shown below:

The relief valve (also called a "bypass valve") allows water to pass from the outlet to the inlet, reducing the effective pressure. If that valve is stuck shut, water will not recirculate and the pressure will be the pump's maximum. It could be stuck due to scale buildup, but that's just my guess.

Whether you're up for repairing it yourself is entirely your decision. It's not complicated, but does require general safety knowledge and tool usage skills. Working on espresso equipment also requires patience and accepting the risk that you'll scratch up your knuckles (don't ask me how I know :roll:).
Dan Kehn

B_KOIE (original poster)

#7: Post by B_KOIE (original poster) »

Thanks again again Dan

Odds are that I will call quits and head to the repair shop. Thanks for your qualified and swift replies. Much appreciated :-)

Regards
Benjamin