Help with yet another flow profiling modification - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
shawndo (original poster)
Supporter ★

#11: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

Question for Slayer owners. I'm trying to figure out what a good initial setting for this needle valve should be

With the needle valve bypass open, I get 270ml/30seconds. (.6mm gigleur)

With the needle valve activated and set to
10 out of 30 graduated marks, I get 60mL/30 seconds.
5 out of 30 = 30mL/30 seconds.

I'm still crossing my fingers if this is in the right flow range. I didn't do the math when I decided on the "medium flow" valve for this application.

I vaguely remember a slayer sales guy say that its generally 10% of the full flow rate. Is that what you guys use?
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

boost

#12: Post by boost »

Aim for 1-2cc flow rate per second, if you size your metering valve correctly this shouldnt be an issue.
If you want to get rid of the manual bypass valve you need a normally open solenoid and switch wired. It is not terribly hard to do but it would be good if you have some electrical knowledge. PM me if you want full details.

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
Bob_M
Supporter ★

#13: Post by Bob_M »

wrong thread.

Bill33525

#14: Post by Bill33525 »

There is a youtube video that describes the preinfusion flow @ around 1 gram or ml per second. Guess that's a starting point. The test is how long it takes to get a few drips into the cup. A shop near me shoots for 4 ml in the cup before full pressure is applied. They pull S.O. and the shot can run 1:30 total time. They use E10 fresh and are happy with them.

JK

#15: Post by JK »

I didn't read more than your original post, please excuse me..

There are two types of connections you don't use any tape or dope on..
A ferrule pipe fitting..
A flare and flare nut fitting...

You should use tape or dope on a tapered pipe thread and maybe in a straight, if there is no sealing gasket..

PS: Small tapered threads are hard to tell from straight as a novice..
They don't look as tapered in real life as the graphic :)
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

AssafL

#16: Post by AssafL »

shawndo wrote:Now I just gotta learn about solenoid valves and this'll be a done.
I don't know what your pipe layout is - but if you use a 3-way note you will probably need what is known as a Universal Configuration 3-way.

3-way valves look as if they are simple 3 input out. But in fact there is normally open (NO), normally closed (NC) and Universal. It has to do with the way the valves are sealed. The wrong ones can leak or fail to open properly.

(For example, a NC is used to push a cylinder or in an espresso machine: When activated hydraulic fluid enters the cylinder. When closed the cylinder MUST vent through the 3-rd connection; a Normally open will keep the cylinder pushed out and vent when engaged; a universal doesn't care - so it can be used as a selector to choose pressure to either go to exit 1 or to exit 2).
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

AssafL

#17: Post by AssafL »

JK wrote: <image>

PS: Small tapered threads are hard to tell from straight as a novice..
They don't look as tapered in real life as the graphic :)
I can't think of a BSPT or NPT in an espresso machine. Are there any tapered connections in espresso machines?

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Supporter ★

#18: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

I am going to use a normally open 2-way. I meant to say I understand conceptually how they work. Just the specifics of electricity and how to hook it up to my system. I want to make sure I really understand everything so I don't burn it (or my fingers) out!

But I think I have it now. I'm going to keep it simple and keep everything at 110v AC, but i want to add an led to let me know when its activated, but I'll have to figure out a power supply solution for that.

AssafL

#19: Post by AssafL » replying to shawndo »

Why NO? Are you not selecting between 2 lines? (If you already purchased it then by all means try it).

Use a 100v Neon in parallel with the coil. A LED doesn't work on 110v (or you could use resistors and a diode with a LED...).

Supporter ★

#20: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

AssafL wrote:Why NO? Are you not selecting between 2 lines? (If you already purchased it then by all means try it).
Normally Open, because I want the default to be the full-flow line. I can operate it normally (backflushing, etc) on full flow without energizing the solenoid.
It will only route through the needle valve when I have the solenoid valve closed on the full-flow side.
I think this makes sense since I am using an external switch to energize the solenoid and not using a microswitch in the paddle.

Here is my brainstorming pro napkin diagram: