Help with used Breville Dual Boiler - Pressure gauge faulty? or more

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
chicoffee

#1: Post by chicoffee »

Hi Everyone

Please be patient with me, i just started getting into the world of Espresso.

Got a new BES870XL and its working well, so decided to snag a used BDB that i got (900XL not 920) for a good price.However upon bringing it home i noticed (seller did say nothing is faulty at all but was in storage for a while) and the pressure gauge is not at 0 when off.

Is this an issue?

Attached a pic:

Thanks a lot!

klund

#2: Post by klund »

I haven't seen that issue before. If I were you, the first thing I'd do is put water in the reservoir, take off the cover, turn it on, and see what happens. It might reset itself naturally, or there could be a problem with any number of things.

klund

#3: Post by klund »

Additionally, here is a link to a thread with lots of BDB repair info.

K2

#4: Post by K2 »

I have the same problem!! My 900XL pressure pointer always stayed at 6, even when I turn off it! When I make the espresso, the pointer I will jump to 13 and the machine will automatically shut down, I have to restart the all kitchen power! I don't know why, when I opened the machine, everything was too complicated for me. I hope someone can help solve this problem. Thank you!

K2

#5: Post by K2 »

I am contacting the seller now, I feel I have been cheated.

klund

#6: Post by klund replying to K2 »

Did you not try the machine before you bought it? Or did you get it online?

chicoffee (original poster)

#7: Post by chicoffee (original poster) »

Ok so i was able to dial in and extract espresso perfectly.Its just showing wrong , it moves from 5 bar onwards to 13 bar but i think cuz 5 is more like 0 bar.

So i may just need to find out how to replace the pressure guauge, i can even go without changing it.right? do i really need to have this fixed if all else works just fine?

I bought mine online, ebay from Canada (im from Chicago) and seller is asking for paying return shipping costs around $100 plus more machine was $400.Not sure if return is worth the hassle.

Thoughts?

chicoffee (original poster)

#8: Post by chicoffee (original poster) »

K2 wrote:I am contacting the seller now, I feel I have been cheated.
HI sorry to hear your issues , it seems although on top of it our issues are similar.I think unfortunately your issue is more than just the gauge showing wrong pressure.It seems like something is tripping the power.I am not an expert on this machine either.

mine does seems to extract normal espresso with a thick crema and balanced taste( had to dial in the right shot using my BES870XL grinder) but its working well only showing wrong on top.

pcrussell50

#9: Post by pcrussell50 »

The power tripping issue is caused by neglecting to replace leaky o-rings in the steam boiler*. Fortunately, as soon as you fix the steam leaks with new o-rings, the power tripping will stop.

*What happens is, there is a circuit board under the warming tray/top cover, that is right above where the steam leaks are. When that board gets wet, all kinds of weird things happen, from popping gfci's on power up, to runaway boiler heating. As soon as this board dries out, the problems usually just go away on their own. If you take the covers off for a few days and let that board dry out, then power it up with the top cover off and out of the way, it should operate normally. That will give you a chance to see the leaks in the steam boiler fittings where the 4mm Teflon tubes are attached. To fix, you pull pull back or cut off the worthless white silicone boots, pull the clip taking care not to lose it, lift out the tube, and replace the orange o-ring that is there with a new size #007 o-ring from eBay or Amazon. They should be about $10 for a hundred of them, including shipping. More than you will need for the rest of your life. Push the tube down into the new o-ring to compress it a little to make room for the clip as you put the clip back in and you're done. No more leaks for three years or so, then do it again. Easy peasy.

As long as the internals are not ruined by scale, the problems you are mentioning are fixable.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mrjag

#10: Post by mrjag »

I'm on my phone right now so I can't easily locate the video, but if you search YouTube there is a video documenting how to repair (replace?) a faulty pressure gauge in a BDB 900.