Help with Quickmill Vetrano 2B 1st time setup

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LarryJ

#1: Post by LarryJ »

Hi all,

My Vetrano 2b arrived today from the East Coast. After filling the reservoir and turning the machine on, the amber light for the steam flickered and it does steam, but nothing happens when the brew lever is lifted. The boiler gauge remains at zero and no flickering amber light. Because of the time difference, too late to call the vendor. :(

I checked and the silicone water line seems o.k. and the pid display is on.

I'm bummed. Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bill33525 »

In the bottom of the resivor is a magnet in a float. Check that it is floating. If stuck to the bottom the pump will not run.

Maybe they forgot to reconnect the heating element after draining the boiler.

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

. . . but nothing happens when the brew lever is lifted.
If the pump does not even run when you lift the brew lever, then I would say that the machine's "shipping experience" has caused one of the electrical connections to the brew switch to be dislodged.

Did you find it necessary to refill the reservoir (you should have) after you initially turned the machine on? Is the switch for reservoir or line pressure operation in the correct position? It should be in the position for reservoir or tank mode.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

LarryJ (original poster)

#4: Post by LarryJ (original poster) »

Yes, in fact I did.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Does the pump run when you lift the brew lever?

If so, it will take about 60-90 seconds of lever up running to fill the brew boiler and its hydraulic circuitry before water emerges from the grouphead.
Skål,

Eric S.

LarryJ (original poster)

#6: Post by LarryJ (original poster) »

Nothing happens when the brew lever is lifted. I never hear the pump kick in. :(

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

Then I go back to what I said before:
If the pump does not even run when you lift the brew lever, then I would say that the machine's "shipping experience" has caused one of the electrical connections to the brew switch to be dislodged
Only two events cause the pump to run. One is the need to fill the steam boiler (and that was apparently successful) and the other is to fill the brew boiler/boiler circuitry by lifting the brew lever. The switch could be defective/maladjusted (rare) but this can be tested by simply pushing the exterior "button" contact in with your fingers.
Skål,

Eric S.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Bill33525 »

These machines are usually tested and then the boilers are drained for shipping. Could be they forgot to reattach the wires to the boiler heating element. Or maybe another wire came loose. If the brew boiler was heating then some water would come out of the group when the brew lever was lifted, even if the pump doesn't run. There is an access panel under the machine for the heating element, you could check that the wires are connected to the element.

Stryker03

#9: Post by Stryker03 »

I am not familiar with the Vetrano. But I would think that both boilers have a fill probe. make sure it is in fact in place and connected. Then make sure the connection is not grounded to the boiler. This would make the machine think that the boiler is already full and no water needed.

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

But I would think that both boilers have a fill probe.
Nope . . . no double boiler machines have a fill probe on the brew boiler because filling is "automatic" as I explained above.
Skål,

Eric S.