Help Troubleshooting Sound - Isomac La Mondiale

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
thedartedash

#1: Post by thedartedash »

Hello! My 2006 Isomac La Mondiale started acting up this morning. During warmup especially, I am hearing a loud clicking/clunking sound. The sound seemed to go away once it was at temp, but it started again when I pulled my shot. Could this be the relay (the video is during warm-up)?

Other than the sound, the machine seems to be working as expected. Any advice for troubleshooting would be appreciated!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

I listened to it last night but I didn't have any ideas.

To my ears, it sounded reasonably loud, not at all like the relatively soft click of a typical relay. Is the clunk as loud in person as it sounds on the video?

Advertisement
mrgnomer

#3: Post by mrgnomer »

Hard to say what that sound is. Removing the shell to watch the exposed parts and pinpoint where the sound is coming from might help.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

DaveC

#4: Post by DaveC »

Based on the assumption this is a standard E61 lever vibe pump Mondial, not plumbed in:

The Mondial (E61 Lever) will only have 1 relay, this is the autofill relay. It's sounds like it's firing randomly. It's NO to the HX brew circuit and pulls high when the boiler requires filling. Of course if the pump isn't running, it won't fill, but pressure in the (normally sealed) brew circuit would be hard on zero (which yours is). This is because any warmup water expansion effects within the sealed brew circuit are completely nullified when it opens to a service boiler coming up to pressure (vacuum breaker not yet closed).

Depending on the programming used, the solenoid may be bypassed during a shot, so it won't autofill in the middle of the shot (but knowing Isomac machines well) ...probably not. Solenoids should not be randomly be clicking, this could be a failing relay in the Gicar, Giemmie, Proelind autofill box (whatever they are using at the time). It might even be opening and closing during the shot, but you don't hear it and it gradually overfills the steam boiler. A quick click in and out might be relatively unnoticeable during a shot (possibly a small brew pressure drop for a fraction of a second).

Diagnostics:

Remove the power wire from the solenoid...does it still do the clicking
If the above step stops the clicking try and find the wire that fires the solenoid from the autofill box, disconnect it

The above 2 steps will tell you IF it's the solenoid firing and the second step, IF it's the solenoid that's faulty, or the autofill box.

P.S. This is because the solenoid might be opening and closing due to the cold and once it's warm it works normally...sadly I think it might well be the more expensive autofill box.

stefano65
Sponsor

#5: Post by stefano65 »

Mondiale should have a vane pump and motor
I personally cannot hear the sound,
my computer sound settings are fine (I'm streaming music as I type)
clicking normally will be related to control box (as mentioned) and solenoid valves,
open casing and locate source of sound,
can be the autofill probe not completely clean and it will make the filling circuit unstable (clicking on and off)
so if a ground wire (the other side of the filling circuit logic) is loose.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

thedartedash (original poster)

#6: Post by thedartedash (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for your help!

After some tinkering I figured out that the issue was a bad connection on my boiler level sensor. Since the connection was bad, it was glitching and turning on the pump randomly but only for a half second at a time, which is why the sound was confusing me. Anyways, a wire brush cleaning to the connection was all it needed!