Help switching to solid state contactor for steam boiler on 2003 La Marzocco Linea 2av

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
eric needham

#1: Post by eric needham »

would someone please enlighten me. I have a 2 group 2av Linea installed in my kitchen. The contactor for the steam boiler wakes up my wife as it clicks when it cycles, it has the newer style round Giemme pressure switch. can this be used with a solid state contactor? or do I have to PID the boiler to use a solid state? If I am spending the $ on a PID, I would prefer to PID the coffee boiler. I am not wanting to buy 2 PID systems for both the front and back at this time.

Thanks, Eric

NickA

#2: Post by NickA »

Your current pressurestat operates on measuring the pressure in the steam boiler and switches manual contacts on or off to control this. If the noise of the contacts is too loud, you will need to replace the pressurestat with a PID, thermocuple, and solid state relay, and this will have to be on the steam boiler, because that's where the current clicking pressurestat is. If you need any help with the actual fitting of the PID (or PIDs), then there are many of us on the site who can help with that.

eric needham (original poster)

#3: Post by eric needham (original poster) »

Nick,

Thanks for the reply, do you have PID's on your Linea?

Eric

NickA

#4: Post by NickA »

Hi Eric,

I do; 2. I also wanted to control the brew boiler, and wanted to get rid of the pstat clicking, so my thoughts were very much like yours.

Paul_Pratt

#5: Post by Paul_Pratt »

You really don't need to install a PID if you want a quieter kitchen. You replace the mechanical contactor with a SSR that uses AC input. $20 tops and job done. If it was me I would also swap out the steam element for regular 2kw (if yours has the high power 3kw by the way) to drop the amps.

It will require you to do a bit of basic wiring but no big deal. Much simpler and cheaper than going to the bother of a PID.

Paul

#6: Post by eric needham (original poster) »

Paul,

Good morning!
This is exactly what I am trying to do! any part# or wiring diagrams would be appreciated!

I figured you might know but I did not want to bother you personally. Your website and photo essays have been invaluable to me. thanks so much for sharing in your expertise!

My wife is going to be so very happy.

Thanks, Eric

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

. . . it has the newer style round Giemme pressure switch.
Maybe you mean CEME - but those are as quiet as a mouse :)

For the steam boiler - a CEME pstat is a tad less than 1.375" in diameter and is USUALLY arranged to control a solid state relay. They are simply not built to handle (long term) the amperage of the steam boiler even at 220-240 VAC. That solid state relay may very well be "concealed" in the electronics box. Take the above with a grain of salt.

For the brew boiler - the Linea standard was/is(?) an installed LM mechanical thermostat - this is what I believe (heavy emphasis) may be annoying your wife. For sure I know how to improve this but hey - TerryZ at EPNW has a thermocouple and PID controller kit to improve this that has been applied probably a hundred times or more and is as track proven as it gets.

I'm familiar with the Linea but not as much as others - we all have our cup's of tea.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#8: Post by eric needham (original poster) »

Eric,

thanks for the reply

CEME is also referred to Giemme in my La Marzocco manual. it was paired up with a contactor in my machine which was built april 2003 in the USA. that would be because the CEME can"t handle the amperage as you say. the CEME is quiet but the contactor is very loud as it switches on and off.
the brew boiler has a light to indicate when it is on, but is completely silent as far as I can tell, less amperage requirement.

I think Paul knows what he is talking about, i have just had a hard time finding any info or parts

Eric

#9: Post by eric needham (original poster) »

here is a photo showing the hidden contactor

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mitch236 »

I have a PID on my brew boiler but haven't swapped out the pressurestat because it doesn't bother me. I would go the PID route for the steam boiler if you want near silent operation. I don't see reducing the wattage of the element by 33%. I like the recovery time of the Linea. You could try insulating the inside case and isolate the p-stat mounting but I don't know how quiet that would be.

You already have one of the best machines out there (just need Piero caps to get rid of the exposed brew water plumbing!), only perform mods that will improve the machine.