Help switching to solid state contactor for steam boiler on 2003 La Marzocco Linea 2av - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
eric needham (original poster)

#31: Post by eric needham (original poster) »

Paul,
Thanks again for all your help! your insight and wiring advice was extremely helpful, I got the contactor switched out for the SSR. it was easy, it took me a bit to understand how simple it was. :idea:

Silence is golden.....
At least my wife wont be cursing me, like she was waking her up at night.

Bill's explanation of the 220 controlling power as opposed to the PIDs low voltage helped.

Thanks to Ian, for the part recommendations.

I did check and I do have a 2000 watt element as mine is a 2004 from the Firenze factory.

I will post pictures soon, just encase anyone else would like to change theirs out.

Eric
Paul_Pratt wrote:Yes but he is talking about the noisy contactor which makes a real racket and is really too loud for commercial let alone home use. I think people are getting confused here.

It may surprise many people but the higher elements were only optional extras to non-US agents until very recently when they became standard. I ran 3 coffee kiosks with 2 group 2kw steam and we survived quite high traffic at peak times with no fuss. Swapping the steam for the 2kw element is a good idea for home use and you would never know the difference.

I do like the idea and practice of PID on steam boilers in a commercial environment as it is one less mechanical part to go wrong. But really for home/office I personally wouldn't bother.

To do the wiring it is quite simple. The A1 and A2 wires on your contactor go to the input of the SSR. One set of the contacts L1, L2 or L3 go to the load side of the SSR. The other set of contacts get connected together.

This is basically the set-up

<image>

I put the SSR in a cold place under the machine. I would advise against mounting the SSR where the existing contactor is as it get's rather warm. I suppose you could if you bumped up the SSR to a higher amp rating.

I can post better info if anyone wants.