Help! Pasquini Livietta trips GFCI when turn off pump

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Cobalt-Iron

#1: Post by Cobalt-Iron »

Hi All,

I just picked up a used '92 Pasquini Livietta. It is in very good shape and clean inside outside. The heater element works fine, no issue at all. The pump does pump out water when I press the brew button, but when I press the brew button off, it trips the GFCI. I tried it a few times on the same outlet and a different outlet, it did the same thing. I haven't tried it on a non-GFCI outlet without knowing what the cause is. Anyone has the same experience?

After reading some posts on this site and other sites, I did order a new electrical connector with the built-in diode for FOT pump. I haven't received it yet. Do you think that will solve the problem?

Thank you!

Yewhee

Cobalt-Iron (original poster)

#2: Post by Cobalt-Iron (original poster) »

Just a quick update. The diode is fine. It turns out that the pump is not grounded. The ground wire wasn't cut but the connector (with the diode) was installed at the orientation where the wires are facing the pump output and the hot/neutral wires were swapped at the terminal block. I know this is not right because the wire colors do not match - it was connected as brown-to-blue and blue-to-red. So I swapped back the hot/neutral wires with brown-to-red/blue-to-blue and reversed the connector orientation with the wires facing the input. This way the ground wire can plug into the pump. Problem solved! It doesn't trip the GFCI any more!

From the way the connector was originally installed, it looks like the ground was not connected to the pump on purpose. I don't know if this is a factory setting or it was changed by someone. But is there any reason why? Anyone has the same machine to check?

Thanks,
Yewhee