Help needed replacing contact relay with SSR to eliminate clicking on Izzo Alex

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cwaldner

#1: Post by cwaldner »

Hi, i have a IZZO Alex that i would like to replace the relay with a SSR because the clicking wakes me up.
The relay on my machine is a Finder 66.82.8.110.0300
What would i need to change that to ssr, is it even possible?
i would also consider PIDing it if i have to, but SSR would cut it for me and would be much simpler.
Any help would be appreciated.

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

You need an SSR with AC input, 15A plus proper heatsink.
http://www.crouzet-ssr.com/english/prod ... /gnssr.pdf Crouzet 25A 84134011 or 84137011

There is almost no advantage to a larger current rating.
See SSR Heatsink Basics

Connect relay control to the SSR control, relay output to SSR output.
No PID necessary.

cwaldner (original poster)

#3: Post by cwaldner (original poster) »

OK i ordered a ssr. I notice the current relay has 8 wires on 7 poles, i wonder whats with that? :?:

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Sounds like the existing relay is switching more than one separate circuit accounting for the different poles. This will probably require a multiple pole SSR to work properly.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#5: Post by cwaldner (original poster) »

what does that mean now? :oops:

Jeepin' Geo

#6: Post by Jeepin' Geo »

cwaldner wrote:OK i ordered a ssr. I notice the current relay has 8 wires on 7 poles, i wonder whats with that? :?:
That does sound odd. Maybe two of the wires are a lamp output?

I have a Duetto and helped a friend replace the mechanical relay on his Alex - but I recall his only had 6 wires: 2 for the control, 2 line wires and 2 neutral wires. We used the SSR to only switch the line wires and jumper-ed the neutrals.

This is the before and after wiring for my Duetto relay replacement:

Is your relay down below the boiler? If above, it may be wise to move it down below. Eventually the terminal insulation on my upper mounted relay showed discoloration and became brittle. Moved it all down to the floor plate where it's much cooler.

HTH,
George

JimG

#7: Post by JimG »

The data sheet I found online for that part number says it is a 30A NO* DPST** relay. So I would have expected 6 connections to the relay (2 for the coil, plus 2 each for each of 2 circuits). This makes perfect sense if both the line and neutral heater wires are being switched like in George's diagram.

Are you sure about the wire and connection count 8) ??

Jim

* normally open
** double pole single throw

#8: Post by cwaldner (original poster) »

i thought i have a picture of the wiring, but i don't. so i might me wrong. because the picture i have is of the control box. I will check once the ssr comes and i will have the machine apart.

#9: Post by cwaldner (original poster) »

do i need a heat sync?

cafeIKE

#10: Post by cafeIKE »

Yes.
See SSR Heatsink Basics

You may be able to get away with mounting the SSR to a cool spot on the machine base. The SSR will be somewhat stressed initially heating the machine and whenever steaming several drinks.