Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MTN Gert

#1: Post by MTN Gert »

I have a few days of use on the Eagle One Prima and wanted to share my thoughts and answer the many questions I am getting in one place.

Initial thoughts are:

It has some drawbacks.
1: you have to drill your own hole in the drip tray to set up the drain (stainless drilling is tough without step bits)
2: it was supposed to include a drain pipe but it didn't (3/4 fitting and 3/4id tubing was $10 at hardware store).
3: the app requires location to be on
4: app cannot find the machine on 3 different Samsung S20 phones but worked right away on my old S7
5: No on off schedule like the linea
6: brew pressure is displayed in app only, no gauge
7: steam pressure is set by app only
8: deeper setting are factory password restricted
9: I cannot figure out a way yet to have the machine on a timer socket because you still need to push and hold the center button to bring it out of standby even with the main switch on

Great things about the machine
1: Instant access hot water mixing valve adjust
2: it has a hot water mixing valve
3: easiest to make perfect microfoam of any machine I've used hands down
4: I personally love the steam by wire system
5: brew temp is crazy stable (very hefty group head)
6: No plastic parts, very solid feeling
7: super fast heat up time and standby mode make it a great home machine
8: all the pannels are quick access and service in the future should be pretty easy

The espresso from this machine has been just as fantstic as anything I have had from a multi group commercial machine. No matter what a E61 prosumer machine says on paper, I have not found one that makes eapresso or steams milk this well.

I am hoping a few of the negatives will be fixed with updates in the future but since it is a highly computerized machine I am sure the app should make it more and more capable.
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

EspressoSmooth

#2: Post by EspressoSmooth »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this! I've been very intrigued by this machine.

How fast is the warm up time exactly?

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
MTN Gert (original poster)

#3: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) » replying to EspressoSmooth »

You are most welcome. I am happy to be able to give back a little after years of using the site

My house is set at 58° and it takes 12.5 minutes to heat up completely. I'm sure just like most machines it will continue to store more energy if it's on longer. With a heated group head I believe it will suffer less than other machines from not letting it soak up the heat for 30-60min.

If you turn the steam boiler off in the app and just do espresso all of the energy will be focused on the micro brew boiler and group head. You can pull shots even faster (around 6-8 minutes)

kitt

#4: Post by kitt »

Thanks for that, two more questions;

1 - Does it have pre-infusion, if so how does it work and is it adjustable?

2 - Does it have ability to change brew pressure during the shot?

#5: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) » replying to kitt »

Yes it has pre infusion and it's adjustable in the app for on time and pause time

No good way to change pressure during a shot. You could play with the brew pressure knob under the machine but would never get repeatable results

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

What is steam by wire? Thanks.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

jgood

#7: Post by jgood »

Is the app available for iPhone or just Android?

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
lessthanjoey

#8: Post by lessthanjoey »

MTN Gert wrote:Yes it has pre infusion and it's adjustable in the app for on time and pause time

No good way to change pressure during a shot. You could play with the brew pressure knob under the machine but would never get repeatable results
Can you adjust flow-rate/water debit for PI? Or is it "pump on for x seconds, pump off for y seconds, then into the normal shot"?

GDK

#9: Post by GDK »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:What is steam by wire? Thanks.
From what I read, steam is produced on the fly w/o having a steam boiler, I suppose similar to what DE1 does (?)

Question for the OP: how long does is take to steam milk for a single or two lattes (using 12oz vs 20oz pitcher)?

#10: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) » replying to GDK »

Steam by wire means the steam and hot water levers are actually on off electronic switches that open solenoids vs traditional mechanical valves with knobs. This has a good sized steam boiler especially since it runs 2-2.5 bar of pressure vs a standard 1-1.5 on most machines.

Steam is not produced on the fly

This is a very powerful machine for steaming but could use bigger steam holes if 20oz of milk is more often used than say a 4-8oz latte or cappuccino. I have had no issues steaming back to back 6-12oz milk drinks with no recovery time. So far it seams about 1.5 second per oz to steam.