Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima - Page 10

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MTN Gert (original poster)

#91: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

As JP2019 realized, my comment on the video was a joke and not to be taken seriously hence the haha part.

I'm a fix it yourself kinda guy and I agree that error code access would be great but I cannot think of a product off the top of my head that gives you full access to diagnostics out of the box.

I still think the so so good coffee YT channel has the best honest review of the Prima

A3 just means the machine is taking to long to get to programmed temp and simonelli has been pretty up front and helpful sharing what they know without needing the machine to be sent in for every quirk
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

JP2019

#92: Post by JP2019 »

I am curious now on the steam discussion. Is the tip replaceable? I know when I had the ECM Synchronika, swapping out the 2 hole steam tip to the 4 hole was like witnessing two different machines at work! The pressure was the same, but I was steaming milk in a 20oz so quickly. I can't tell now, but looks like this could be a future upgrade worth asking for. Maybe it contributed to my super foam lol, but I would definitely want to recommend that improvement if given the opportunity.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore

#93: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

The original Prima steam tip does a fantastic job steaming 4oz of milk in under 10 seconds, even though I'm sure the tip can be changed, I have no desire at the moment. My Alex Duetto came with 4 steam tips and I was constantly swapping them to find the best vortex and microfaom creating tip,in the end the 2 hole was the best but left a lot to be desired. My Simonelli Oscar became a whole new machine when I installed a LM tip on it.

Transporter
Supporter ♡

#94: Post by Transporter »

MTN Gert wrote: How is this a reply to anything I said?

Simonelli has shown its commitment to support so far. They might not know what problems should be expected on a new machine. When I got the A3 error they shipped the replacement limit switches out same day. With Edwin they walked him through what to look for before forwarding the code status to Italy. Please elaborate what else you think they should do and I am happy to mention it to the next time I chat.

We have already discussed the steam situation in depth. This machine makes the best microfoam of any machine I have used so far. This machine is not quite as powerful as a linea mini and GS3 due to smaller steam tip holes. The speed difference is tiny though. My 5L+ brasila Portafino and other similar 1 group commercial machines have never ending high power steam which dominate this home sized machine class no matter who makes it. DE1 takes 50-55 seconds to steam 250g of milk the E1P takes ~15 seconds. It only takes a little more time to steam 12-16oz. Maybe sometime soon vendor like Seattle coffee gear will have all the top machines in one place to place with and compare. IMO the differences in this top tier class is negligible in the steam power dept.
Thanks for the information on the steam. The reference you gave to other machines makes sense in the ability, and it seems their is no significant difference in the steam performance compared to LM.

I looked at a tamper-like puqpress, and Voltage told me that the new machine is more suited towards 58.3mm over 58mm. Any thoughts on this?

#95: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

I think tamper is going to be effected alot more by basket being used vs the machine and portafilter. My 58.4mm amd 58.5mm tampers fits the included precision Simonelli basket very snug. I mostly use a 16/20g IMS basket which still has the slightest play with my 58.5mm tamper. 58.3mm or more would be my preference

JP2019

#96: Post by JP2019 »

Transporter wrote:Thanks for the information on the steam. The reference you gave to other machines makes sense in the ability, and it seems their is no significant difference in the steam performance compared to LM.

I looked at a tamper-like puqpress, and Voltage told me that the new machine is more suited towards 58.3mm over 58mm. Any thoughts on this?
Recommend checking out the Compak Cube Tamp. Its done really well. Easy to adjust, looks great, provides consistent and leveled tamp and much cheaper than puqpress. You can also switch out the tamper head pretty easily. Based on recommended diameter, ill be ordering the 58.3 mm ahead of time. I only have the 58 mm at the moment.

Transporter
Supporter ♡

#97: Post by Transporter »

JP2019 wrote:Recommend checking out the Compak Cube Tamp. Its done really well. Easy to adjust, looks great, provides consistent and leveled tamp and much cheaper than puqpress.
I have both the Compak adjust easier but the puqpress preforms more consistent.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
Transporter
Supporter ♡

#98: Post by Transporter »

MTN Gert wrote:I think tamper is going to be effected alot more by basket being used vs the machine and portafilter. My 58.4mm amd 58.5mm tampers fits the included precision Simonelli basket very snug. I mostly use a 16/20g IMS basket which still has the slightest play with my 58.5mm tamper. 58.3mm or more would be my preference
Okay thanks for the information. The new baskets must be different the previous Victoria Arduino machines.

JP2019

#99: Post by JP2019 »

Transporter wrote:I have both the Compak adjust easier but the puqpress preforms more consistent.

Really? Man lucky. I only have gotten to try the Compak. Wonder how much more consistent Puqpress could be given the downward motion. Maybe will PM you since that is different topic lol. Nice Mahlkonig!

Transporter
Supporter ♡

#100: Post by Transporter » replying to JP2019 »

Sure thing. The tamper head coating is different, along with other design differences contributing to each machine's positives and negatives.

I am more basis on puqpress since I have used them for an extended period across different models.