Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima - Page 56

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Transporter

#551: Post by Transporter »

The brutal truth is that the machine tried to do too many things simultaneously and never really accomplished anything correctly, leaving many buyers with a sour taste in their mouths. VA marketing emphasized the connectivity and features, which never fully worked and were riddled with issues. VA stopped shipping prima units because there was a disconnect between user experience and functionality. They attempted to rectify the problems with a firmware update which addressed some issues but not all inconsistencies.

Sure, new machines will have issues like any product that requires some time in the market to mature. Unfortunately, many of the problems demonstrated that adequate product testing in a real-world environment was not done, nor did the manufacturer conduct a home user test to understand how the machine would perform in its intended environment. What troubled me the most was the aftersales support that lacked training in in-home customer support. This is where my prior statements about VA come in. They were geared to support the commercial environment where they are dealing in business to business and not set up to deal with the home users, which is quite a different customer.

The supply statement is an easy way for the manufacturer to focus on production instead of servicing the machine, negatively impacting them. If VA didn't plan to have parts on hand, why are they producing new machines? Why not allocate some parts for servicing machines or revise problematic components. It is clear that there is a disconnect between VA service and engineering to create reports for analysis that would help identify root issues and fix them; instead, the customers have become the Ginnie pigs in this experiment.

I wanted to have a great experience with the machine. However, from the poor quality of craftsmanship that allowed mating parts to scratch the side panels to motherboard issues, it's clear that the problems were not isolated incidents but indicators of far more significant issues rooted in the company's culture. The company will only change if there are enough consumers that stand up to this nonsense.

Anyone reading the forums will notice consistent issues from repeat problems and the dealer's frustration with VA. I was happy to get my machine, but my happiest day was when it was sent back and that in itself was an ordeal. VA initially telling the dealer to take the machine back only to go back on their word. These, among other things, suggest that users should look at machines with a proven concept and propper support.

I've noticed some users have received upgraded Prima's that moved from the T3 system to a T4 system which includes another point of temperature stability from the heating/boiling water reservoir tank. Lol. Some machines are promoted as innovative artwork with legs as crooked as the leaning tower of Pisa or drip trays as malleable as playdough to offer extra entertainment while making your coffee.

JP2019
Supporter

#552: Post by JP2019 »

Hey transporter,

What did you end up getting as a replacement?

BaristaBoy E61

#553: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Transporter wrote:Anyone reading the forums will notice consistent issues from repeat problems and the dealer's frustration with VA. I was happy to get my machine, but my happiest day was when it was sent back and that in itself was an ordeal. VA initially telling the dealer to take the machine back only to go back on their word. These, among other things, suggest that users should look at machines with a proven concept and propper support.
So here we have it, the new god proves to be just another Golden Calf. Hence my reticence to move from the less that perfect yet proven abilities of the E61 'box'.

Sounds like you were a boat owner at some point in you life.

Thanks for your thoughtful analysis.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Transporter

#554: Post by Transporter »

JP2019 wrote:Hey transporter,

What did you end up getting as a replacement?
I wanted to get a Kees Vander Westen Speedster, but they stopped making a 110v version.

Although the Sanremo You looks interesting, this is another new concept for a home machine packed with technology that is not proven to be robust or reliable in the market. I will probably go back to a GS3 AV that I had before, a solid and reliable machine.

There is something special about traditional machines without all the gimmicks, they are usually robust and retain value over the long period.

BaristaBoy E61

#555: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Transporter wrote:I wanted to get a Kees Vander Westen Speedster, but they stopped making a 110v version.
Not the external pump but the 230v electrical hookup is enough to deter you?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Transporter

#556: Post by Transporter replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

I prefer not to make any modifications to lease property. When we build our next house, I will run a dedicated 230v circuit with plumbing for the machine.

JP2019
Supporter

#557: Post by JP2019 »

Transporter wrote:I wanted to get a Kees Vander Westen Speedster, but they stopped making a 110v version.

Although the Sanremo You looks interesting, this is another new concept for a home machine packed with technology that is not proven to be robust or reliable in the market. I will probably go back to a GS3 AV that I had before, a solid and reliable machine.

There is something special about traditional machines without all the gimmicks, they are usually robust and retain value over the long period.
Man I feel it's been weeks since you shared your experience with me. How are you getting by without a machine? I can barely go three days.

Agree on the statement. Still looking for that balance of tech and classic. The YOU just seems like too much tech plus I'd never get another first release haha. I enjoy my machine though but almost a year later and I'm ready to upgrade.

Andrewp

#558: Post by Andrewp »

Crikey I REALLY feel for you guys who have had issues and obviously it's not an isolated incident. I remember watching a vid James H had on them and with full transparency he stated he had an interest in them from memory. I was always told to never buy the first of a new product to market as there were always(And ok always is a big word) issues!
It is very sad that they have not put their service department/customer support into top gear to get the issues sorted. Clearly these are expensive machines and customers have every right to be well pissed off for non performance.
I've recently purchased a Synesso Hydra. Very pleased but it has stuff I will NEVER EVER use. Workmanship is top notch and so it should be for the price.
All the best going forward.

climb8000

#559: Post by climb8000 »

My exact sentiment! Cancelled my order today. Back to square one...

Transporter

#560: Post by Transporter »

JP2019 wrote:Man I feel it's been weeks since you shared your experience with me. How are you getting by without a machine? I can barely go three days.

Agree on the statement. Still looking for that balance of tech and classic. The YOU just seems like too much tech plus I'd never get another first release haha. I enjoy my machine though but almost a year later and I'm ready to upgrade.
The Gaggia Classic Pro has helped me get through these hard days, and it's not perfect. Yet it manages to pull a nice shot thanks to the Mythos II grinder.

The You looks interesting. What concerns me is the screen on the group head and how it will perform in the real world.