Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima - Page 48

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Glenn

#471: Post by Glenn »

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. Perhaps this has been covered in the 471 posts on this thread, but I owned the machine for over one month and had the following issues causing me to return it. These included the following, which could not be reconciled by factory tech support, hard reboots and water changes:

(1) Tank light remained on with a full tank of water; machine usually still functioned, but sometimes it would not operate based on it thinking it had an empty tank (even when it was full)

(2) Shot timer would not always engage, and temp would show instead during the shot

(3) Sometimes when the machine was turned on with the main power switch, the steam wand and the hot water tap would discharge at full power for a few seconds and then shut off--this was obviously startling when it would happen, and dangerous when the machine was still hot and discharged steam and hot water

(4) The app would not find the machine some days, and, even when it connected, the machine ID would not appear in the list of machines page of the app

I videoed each glitch extensively and tried to work with dealer tech support to rectify the bugs, but ultimately returned it. The dealer support was excellent, BTW. Perhaps I just got a "lemon."

On the design front, some sharp edges on the sheet metal around the drip tray and tank lid should have been smoothed. Also, the drip tray is a press fit with gasket into the machine frame, which works fine, but to pull it out evenly and smoothly requires thumb pressure to be applied to both sides of the frame of the machine while grasping and pulling the sides of the tray. This is fine for someone with large hands, but not really workable for someone with smaller hands or less grip. If the drip tray is full and you pull it out too hard to break the seal it makes with the frame, there is a risk of the water spilling out the front and onto your counter, or even you (it's very shallow in the front). Again, there must have been a better way to design these elements considering it is actually being marketed to people who don't plumb it. Although the solenoid concept is a good one, the location of the steam and hot water paddles is not great--when reaching for a cup on top of the machine sometimes I would hit it and engage the systems unintentionally.

Aside from the bugs and design issues, it made nice espresso (forgiving machine) and steamed like a champ. Auto-purge is a particularly nice feature, and for home use the small tank and drip tray sizes did not bother me too much (not great, but not fatal). The auto-cleaning cycle also worked very well. Visually, the machine looked nice on the bench (nice color schemes, unique shape and great lighting. Wish it had worked out.

boshk

#472: Post by boshk »

That's a shame you had to return it BUT great service from your retailer.

I haven't come across those faults yet, touchwood I don't.

More importantly, what machine are you getting now? :mrgreen:

Glenn

#473: Post by Glenn »

La Marzocco GS3MP, paired with Eureka Atom 75. We'll see how that goes. I liked the E1 Prima a lot. If you re not having problems, that is great and sounds like you got a good machine. I might have just gotten a lemon...it happens.

I really like the Atom 75, which I see you use. I run two of them in my setup--one for morning caffeinated shots and one for decaf in the evenings. They are great. I run a Fellow Ode with the Moccamaster, for those who want drip on occasion.

Enjoy your machine.

Glenn

#474: Post by Glenn »

For the Atom 75s, I got them with the new Blow-Up Hopper, which works very well.

boshk

#475: Post by boshk replying to Glenn »

I got the standard short hopper but removed it and debating on getting a bellow.
I really like the Atom 75 too, quiet and FAST with fluffy grinds.
I'm ok for the moment with the retention/exchange.....but seriously debating getting a Lagom p64 or even if I can really really stretch it (as in no xmas present etc) a P100 or EG-1.

I pull about 2 maybe 3 shots a day (18g) and don't really 'purge' ....I find it so wasteful even just 2-3g purge daily is nearly 1 bag of beans every 2 months into the bin. Over here, a bag is 200g and cost around $15usd
Atom grinds have been consistent, averaging 17.7-18.1g but sometimes it just gets 'caught' up inside giving only 16g, then I have to palm the opening while manual grinding to force the grinds out....
Speed and noise.....its amazing.

boshk

#476: Post by boshk »

Glenn wrote:La Marzocco GS3MP, paired with Eureka Atom 75. We'll see how that goes. I liked the E1 Prima a lot. If you re not having problems, that is great and sounds like you got a good machine. I might have just gotten a lemon...it happens.

I really like the Atom 75, which I see you use. I run two of them in my setup--one for morning caffeinated shots and one for decaf in the evenings. They are great. I run a Fellow Ode with the Moccamaster, for those who want drip on occasion.

Enjoy your machine.
That would be nice!! I thought about the MP too. It was MP vs Linea vs Prima vs R91.
If you have the time and patience, The MP would be great!! so much tinkering with pressure profiling, just keep an eye on the drip tray volume haha

Enjoy!!

BodieZoffa

#477: Post by BodieZoffa »

icedlink wrote:Thanks, I didn't know IMS has a tool to remove the screen

It gave me an idea, I printed a bottomless basket to hold the screen and water dispersion metal piece in place using a portafilter holder.

So I can position it while screwing/placing it back.
I could see a practical use for a tool like that in a busy commercial setting, but at home I couldn't justify the expense for something so simple/easy to do with things I already have/use that work great.

icedlink

#478: Post by icedlink replying to BodieZoffa »

Hmm.. as it only cost me less than $0.50 material and energy to make one.
I would say for me, it worth the hassle of making one ^_^

Transporter

#479: Post by Transporter »

BodieZoffa wrote:I could see a practical use for a tool like that in a busy commercial setting, but at home I couldn't justify the expense for something so simple/easy to do with things I already have/use that work great.
The advantage of the tool is you can remove the shower screen with the diffuser plate without it burning you while the machine is still hot.

Transporter

#480: Post by Transporter »

icedlink wrote:Hmm.. as it only cost me less than $0.50 material and energy to make one.
I would say for me, it worth the hassle of making one ^_^
I could model it in solid works and have our vendors make it out of stainless steel as they did, but there is no way to make for .50 since you are not mass producing it.

Honestly, my time is more valuable, and it's not even feasible to make something that's already on the market and works.