Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima - Page 44

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Transporter
Supporter ♡

#431: Post by Transporter »

pschloes wrote:Has the new shower screen made a difference?
The things that I noticed:
- water disputation is more evenly distributed.
- the extraction comes out even from both spouts
- volume seems to be more consistent
- easier to clean with less coffee residue left on the screen

I also upgrade the baskets to IMS Barista Pro, still waiting on the VST to come in.

It's not a significant cost to change these items to improve a great machine. The benefit of having a clean shower screen will ensure past grounds are not impacting the flavor. The baskets included are good quality but going to a IMS or VST will yield better results.

espressotech

#432: Post by espressotech »

icedlink wrote:To empty the boiler
Hold down all 3 buttons till you see "EB" displayed it will count down and purge the groups
i sent you pm
Guy Tzur

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
Proximina

#433: Post by Proximina »

Transporter wrote:The things that I noticed:
- water disputation is more evenly distributed.
- the extraction comes out even from both spouts
- volume seems to be more consistent
- easier to clean with less coffee residue left on the screen

I also upgrade the baskets to IMS Barista Pro, still waiting on the VST to come in.

It's not a significant cost to change these items to improve a great machine. The benefit of having a clean shower screen will ensure past grounds are not impacting the flavor. The baskets included are good quality but going to a IMS or VST will yield better results.
I am also using the IMS shower screen and IMS baskets. Some of my observations as well: The water looks like it comes out more evenly (though I doubt this does too much in the cup). I am using a NS bottomless portafilter so I don't notice much about evenness in the spouts :D . Easiness to clean is a huge thing I've noticed and like about this shower screen. Please let us know if you see some improvements with the VST baskets over the IMS baskets.

Transporter
Supporter ♡

#434: Post by Transporter » replying to Proximina »

The Barista pro Nanotech baskets are super easy to keep clean. Even after 12 coffees, it looks unused.
I am sure both filter baskets will perform better than the stock. I just wanted to have both to play around and use more standard-size baskets. Especially considering the cost is not significant to gain more consistency and ease of cleaning.

I was not too impressed with the factory screen. The mesh accumulates coffee grinds, and a lot more work is required to keep it clean.

BaristaBoy E61

#435: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

What about these non-standard Portafilter ears that look like they're more for a lever machine?

Why did VA choose to go that route?

I can't say that I like that at all.

Perhaps this has already been covered in this thread.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Transporter
Supporter ♡

#436: Post by Transporter » replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

The position of the ears doesn't impact the performance of the machine. I am more concerned about the temperature stability and reliability of the machine, which affects my espresso.

boshk

#437: Post by boshk »

I know they are different items, would you get IMS standard/Nano screen OR Flair 58 puck screen? or both

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Transporter
Supporter ♡

#438: Post by Transporter » replying to boshk »

Congratulations on your machine. I watched your video. The machine is a bit deceiving because it's pretty heavy for its appearance.

Shower Screen:
I purchased the IMS competition standard screen over the NanoQuartz since I wanted to use detergent during my backflushing without removing the shower screen. The NanoQuartz will be degraded quicker with detergents or can even be damaged if using heavy cleaners.

Baskets:
I purchased the IMS NanoQuartz and standard version of the baskets. They are ridgeless designs that make removing them easy. The coating keeps the basket clean, and just a light rinse of water is all that's need to remove any coffee. I also ordered the VST baskets to compare the performance, but in all honesty, the performance will probably be comparable at this grade level.

The curve in the shower screen also seems to help mitigate any possibility of channeling, and you can see great puck saturating from shot to shot. The price of a screen and basket is relatively low for the cost-benefit factor.

I am using an automatic tamper to control a lot of variables, so my results from changing these components can be directly correlated since there are more controls in my sample. Even from a cleaning perspective, these screens are worth it. The mesh designs that are generally used work fine, but they are more susceptible to trapping coffee grinds that can impact the extraction of the next shot.

boshk

#439: Post by boshk » replying to Transporter »

Thanks for watching.
I just ordered the 'standard' ims screen too, didn't want to have to unscrew the screen prior to every agent flushing.
I'm using a VST 18g now, grinds have to be finer I found using VST compared to VA's basket.

The machine is crazy heavy, even leveling and adjusting the legs was hard.
I'm still on firmware v32 but the machine have been really stable with no problems that I am aware of. The app usually requires 2 login to actually login but not really a factor.
Volumetric dosing seems to be works.
Temperature wise, I'm still a little lost in how to measure that without a Scace thermofilter (over $400), some say styrofoam cup and digital thermometer?

Is there even a list of what V100 firmware changes are?

Transporter
Supporter ♡

#440: Post by Transporter » replying to boshk »

My machine came with V100 so I never had any of the issues prior users reported. It's only going to improve as they issue updated firmware versions.