Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Transporter

#41: Post by Transporter »

edwinp0606 wrote:Hi OP,
I am running the app on iPhone. The pre-wetting setting on my app does not seem to follow the logic of the ON, OFF and DURATION as stated previously on this post and from what the SN support has told me as well. Not sure if you noticed, on my machine, at the start of the brew, it pumps water but then it stops abruptly, and immediately starts on again (going by the sound of pump). I noticed that when it stopped, it matched the time on the pre-wetting DURATION setting on the app, not on the On setting. This is still a mystery to me that I am trying to understand. I sent an email to NS support.

I have to admit, that I yet have to exceed the espresso extraction quality on my La Spaziale Dream T. Maybe the difference is on the coffee dose. I have been using 20g coffee dose in La Spa and right now I am on 16g because of the basket size limitation (14g). So, I am pushing this to 16g.

Agreed on the drip pan. It is difficult to drill a hole. Not sure how you will do this using a portable handheld drill. I used a benchtop drill. It took a good 5 minutes or so to finish drilling.

Last nagging function that I yet have to resolve is the easy cream wand. It does not stop automatically to the set final temperature. Waiting a response on this.

Edwin

The technique to drilling stainless is to drill at low speed with oil, and the issue is that stainless will create higher friction which will dull the bit. If you drill at low speed with cutting oil, then you could even use any carbide bit, but ideally, a bit specific for stainless will help avoid cross-contamination from carbon to stainless steel.

MTN Gert (original poster)

#42: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

Transporter wrote:A 15 amp circuit can only handle 1800 watts. The other issue is your electrical house wiring is usually a specific gauge based on the circuit your running, so I don't see it is possible to run 2600w considering a 20-amp breaker can not exceed 2400 watts.
110v 30amp circuit breaker, wiring and wall sockets exist even if they are not common or standard. I am not suggesting to plug the machine into a nema 5-15, nema 5-20 and see what happens at full power haha. It would be big project for most people
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

#43: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

I deleted the Eagle one app today and reinstalled it. Now I can turn the auto purge on and off too.

The volumetric can be a bit wonky when set by the grouphead. It will randomly stop at 23 seconds before the the correct water amount is dosed. Probably will be addressed in a machine update. I found volumetrics to be accurate when used in the app. Just remember that the cc volume in the app does include the amount of water absorbed by the puck so you will need more water than the desired espresso volume. I set mine to 88cc to get 38g out of my current 19g espresso blend.

For the science kit espresso people that say the eagle one is inferior to machine X because it does not have pressure profiling, I would suggest that they play with the pre wetting/preinfusion in the app. The results of long on off on off pre brew can make some pretty incredible results for extra light roasts.

Hopefully we will see some eagle one prima machines in stores soon. I want people to feel the quality and joyful experience of a machine like the prima. I didn't think much of the La Marzocco Linea Mini until I personally used one a few times. Some things in life just can't be clarified over specs sheets and fans like myself.

Transporter

#44: Post by Transporter »

MTN Gert wrote:110v 30amp circuit breaker, wiring and wall sockets exist even if they are not common or standard. I am not suggesting to plug the machine into a nema 5-15, nema 5-20 and see what happens at full power haha. It would be big project for most people
This is not feasible. All housing standards are 15 amp or 20amp, depending on location. If your house has wiring internally only to handle a certain amperage on an outlet, then putting a 30amp socket will not do anything, nor would it be logical to do so. You are better off running 220 off two 15amp separate breakers.

I have never seen anyone running a 30 amp into their kitchen, and these plugs are situated more for RV application where you can feed from your home panel to the outside. No one in their right mind would be rewiring their house to a 30amp plug in the kitchen over a 220v.

I think this idea of 30 amp is really misleading nor is it energy efficient over 220v.

#45: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

Although I agree that 220v would be the best option and probably a whole different machine. My point was only that it is possible not that it is preferred. I doubt the machine is setup to take a 2600w draw on 110v anyway.. My second point was I wonder if it is possible to convert the Prima to 220v. I NEVER said just change the socket to a 30amp 110v one. Most people in their right minds won't run a whole new set of 220v wires from a circuit breaker pannel to the kitchen either yet we see it all the time. Not sure how I mislead anyone by suggesting it is possible. I doubt you mean to Transporter but many of your posts come across very condescending even though I agree with most of what you say.

Transporter

#46: Post by Transporter replying to MTN Gert »

Sorry that you find my facts offending, but maybe there needs to be better clarity on your idea.

The machines that are for the US market are designed to operate on standardization that households have 110 and 15 amp outlets. This is one reason Prima's promotional video highlight that the machine only draws 13 amps of power. It's silly to give the idea that the machine will use 30amps, considering that residential building codes are engineered along with electrical requirements that standardize the wiring gauge and parameters. You can't just replace an outlet except it get 30amps without having all the right components.

The other consideration is that the internals may be different, like heating elements. Since the machine's design is optimized to use a specific power, there may not be any benefit even if you could use more power because of these limiting factors. It's essential to get the facts because we may have a user take your suggestion with devastating consequences.

JP2019
Supporter

#47: Post by JP2019 »

Thanks for confirming the auto purge controls via app Dave! Also, I am appreciating all the feedback updates and thoughts on the machine so far. As mentioned in my PM I pre-ordered and having second thoughts because of this machine being so new and reliant on technical app based controls and then thinking how it will do in resale if I ever want to upgrade. Started to wonder if waiting a year or two for them to flush out anything major is worth waiting. Sounds like you are enjoying the machine a lot.

Most Simonelli machines I see seem to not get reviewed as well and the brand itself seems more popular in AU, UK and Indonesia. Since I know I like to change machines often, I'm hoping this one doesn't depreciate as much as my 4 month old ECM lol. Linea minis seem to hold value well but as someone else on the forum said, it's just so good at what it does it's basic and boring. Not in a bad way, but just not a lot to do with that machine.

I would love to keep learning more about the machine and your everyday usage. I'm sure most of us here reading are not nitpicking apart everything written. hoping to stay on track with the forum topic. Have any new photos? Do the push paddles look like they can be replaced? Would be cool for future mods to add some color paddles or wood accents to the mix for customizing.

Also with support, did your machine come with the "Gold" package? Wondering if you're getting good service because of that one year gold package they are bundling with these machines at places like Voltage and Majesty.

Lastly, any other cons you have noticed outside the app?

edwinp0606

#48: Post by edwinp0606 »

MTN Gert wrote:I deleted the Eagle one app today and reinstalled it. Now I can turn the auto purge on and off too.

The volumetric can be a bit wonky when set by the grouphead. It will randomly stop at 23 seconds before the the correct water amount is dosed. Probably will be addressed in a machine update. I found volumetrics to be accurate when used in the app. Just remember that the cc volume in the app does include the amount of water absorbed by the puck so you will need more water than the desired espresso volume. I set mine to 88cc to get 38g out of my current 19g espresso blend.

For the science kit espresso people that say the eagle one is inferior to machine X because it does not have pressure profiling, I would suggest that they play with the pre wetting/preinfusion in the app. The results of long on off on off pre brew can make some pretty incredible results for extra light roasts.

Hopefully we will see some eagle one prima machines in stores soon. I want people to feel the quality and joyful experience of a machine like the prima. I didn't think much of the La Marzocco Linea Mini until I personally used one a few times. Some things in life just can't be clarified over specs sheets and fans like myself.
Hi OP,
The app version on mine is 1.5. I deleted and re-uploaded mine today. The app looked the same. Question. On the pre-wetting/infusion, do you mind translating this setting:
On - 6 secs
Off - 3 secs
Duration - 4 secs

I was told by the NS support that because the 4 sec Duration is <the On +Off total time that it basically will not cycle. But what if the Duration is 10 sec, does this mean it will complete the On (6 sec) + Off (3 sec), then what happens next? There is only 1 sec difference left on the duration. Does it start the On (1sec) then to the brewing starts?

Also, do you know what the Ext. Brewing Time means? It is under the KEYS & DISPLAY.

Thanks.

#49: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

ideally you would have something like 6 seconds on 3seconds off and 9 seconds duration

If you made it 18 seconds duration it will repeat 2x (6 on 3 off 6 on 3 off)

If you had 6 on 3 off and duration 10. Then I think it would go through the pre wetting cycle and then just brewing because the remaining 1 seconds would be on anyway

Brewing time in display is the shot timer on the group head display. 10 seconds means it stays on 10 seconds after brewing is complete

#50: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

JP2019 wrote:Thanks for confirming the auto purge controls via app Dave! Also, I am appreciating all the feedback updates and thoughts on the machine so far. As mentioned in my PM I pre-ordered and having second thoughts because of this machine being so new and reliant on technical app based controls and then thinking how it will do in resale if I ever want to upgrade. Started to wonder if waiting a year or two for them to flush out anything major is worth waiting. Sounds like you are enjoying the machine a lot.

Most Simonelli machines I see seem to not get reviewed as well and the brand itself seems more popular in AU, UK and Indonesia. Since I know I like to change machines often, I'm hoping this one doesn't depreciate as much as my 4 month old ECM lol. Linea minis seem to hold value well but as someone else on the forum said, it's just so good at what it does it's basic and boring. Not in a bad way, but just not a lot to do with that machine.

I would love to keep learning more about the machine and your everyday usage. I'm sure most of us here reading are not nitpicking apart everything written. hoping to stay on track with the forum topic. Have any new photos? Do the push paddles look like they can be replaced? Would be cool for future mods to add some color paddles or wood accents to the mix for customizing.

Also with support, did your machine come with the "Gold" package? Wondering if you're getting good service because of that one year gold package they are bundling with these machines at places like Voltage and Majesty.

Lastly, any other cons you have noticed outside the app?
I would say at least where I live in the greater Seattle area my customers run about 40% simonelli 30% la Marzocco and 30% everything else. Simonelli is very popular especially the Appia and Aurelia machines. Resale should not be a problem but keep in mind if you buy a machine for $1000 and easily sell it for $700 you only lose $300, if you buy a machine for $5500 and sell it for 4800 the % loss is less but you still lost $700 vs $300.

No new photos but just ask if you need something specific

Paddles look easy enough to replace but I don't know when someone will start on aftermarket items if you can't make it yourself.

If i remember correctly yes I got the gold package. I don't think it matters because my 2 calls to simonelli were promptly answered with no request for serial number etc.

One thing on day one I didn't mention before, it had a A3 error code and somonelli told me its an error for heating to slow, I diagnosed it to be a high limit sensor on the brew boiler was tripped from the factory. They were willing to have me bring it in, ship it in, or walk me through fixing it if needed help. Also they instantly shipped out the non resetable limit switches for both the boiler and grouphead in case it was one of those. Lucky for me 5 min with a multi meter and a paper clip to reset and I was back in business. The whole experience was fantastic and the reason why I sold my prosumer machine to get a commercial brand.

Only recent additional con as mentioned prior was that I am having a hard time setting the volumetrics with the group head but the app works great. Just an update needed I'm sure.

I would love an eta on the release of machine on off scheduling but I have been leaving it on overnight and the machine never gets very hot. Much cooler and I'm assuming efficient vs a Linea mini

I just made a 4oz of milk latte and I was grinning the whole time being able to brew and steam at the same time and still have enough time to wipe the machine down before brew completed automatically. Unnecessary for the home but so awesome !

Keep the questions coming. It's good that we get this info out there so people can figure out if this is the right machine for them without losing sleep