Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima - Page 40

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Gladbjerg

#391: Post by Gladbjerg »

Transporter wrote:I just got my machine this Saturday. It's a temporary setup since we are moving in two weeks. So far, everything works great, and the easy cream programming seems to function flawlessly.

Now that I can compare it to my prior GS3, it was the right direction for many reasons. Temperature stability is amazing, and the steam power creates significant dryer steam that heats the milk quickly. Personally, I wish it had a larger drip tray like the GS3.

Nice setup - :-)

Is it not the Myyhos ii gravitech? What software version do you have on the Grinder? Mine does not have the option to have a big minus and plus on the screen - how do you get that?

Transporter

#392: Post by Transporter »

I ordered my setup from Todd at Whole Latte Love.
https://www.wholelattelove.com/

You can try these other sellers too. They are all great and very responsive. I am sure there are lots of other sellers that can help you out.
Mark at Chris Coffee was fantastic to deal with too:
https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/vi ... roup-black

Tony at Majesty Coffee
https://majestycoffee.com/products/vict ... 5120&_ss=r

Voltage Coffee Supply:
https://www.voltagerestaurantsupply.com ... 2102418496

Seattle Coffeegear:
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/victo ... so-machine

111a111sk

#393: Post by 111a111sk »

The easycream is imo BS, I think I saw it priced at +500€. It's just a second tube with air compressor and thermometer to stop the steaming.

//Ok holy sh*t 1000$ is steeeep. Better pay for milk steaming workshop instead.

Also please could you share your experience with the Mythos 2? How's the taste, the dosing consistency and precision, how complicated is the calibration. I'm considering a gravimetric grinder, but Mahlkönig E65S GbW didn't really impress me the one time I tried it in a café.

Transporter

#394: Post by Transporter »

Transporter wrote:Has anyone used the IMS competition basket (15g) or VST precision baskets 16/18G? I find that baskets included don't yield good results on 15G shots without moving up to 16-16.5G. Any preference for ridge or ridgeless?

Can anyone comment on the IMS Nano coating basket and if an issue exists in detergents that may degrade the coating?

I was desperate and decided to buy some espresso from Amazon with a roast date of May but I never thought it would make that much difference that my shots would be terrible. I ordered a new 5lb bag from the roaster and received yesterday, and using the included Simonelli double basket, the machine pulls fantastic shots at 15g. I did a slight increase to 34 pounds on the cube, and it turns out a perfect shot. I am pulling a 15G in with around 44 out at 29 seconds.

Transporter

#395: Post by Transporter »

Gladbjerg wrote:Nice setup - :-)

Is it not the Myyhos ii gravitech? What software version do you have on the Grinder? Mine does not have the option to have a big minus and plus on the screen - how do you get that?
Yes, this is the Mythos II Gravimetric version. The advance option are accessed through the main menu, by selecting my coffee 6 which opens up the advance setting.

Here is a video that explains it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=lvrs-3RlwXc

Transporter

#396: Post by Transporter »

111a111sk wrote:The easy cream is imo BS, I think I saw it priced at +500€. It's just a second tube with air compressor and thermometer to stop the steaming.

//Ok holy sh*t 1000$ is steeeep. Better pay for milk steaming workshop instead.

Also please could you share your experience with the Mythos 2? How's the taste, the dosing consistency and precision, how complicated is the calibration. I'm considering a gravimetric grinder, but Mahlkönig E65S GbW didn't really impress me the one time I tried it in a café.
The addition is not cheap, there are many advantages of having it, from consistency, repeatability, and ability to other tasks. I can steam the milk manually, so it is not a skill limitation. The easy cream allows me to vary recipes without having a probe to check the various temperature and ability to do something else while the milk is frothing. The application menu provides configurations to set parameters of temperatures for the milk and compressor, which allow it to be consistent without the use of a temperature gauge. Honestly, after buying the grinder, machine, and accessories, the extra cost for the easy cream is not a big deal.

The feature grew on me the more time I used it. Initially, I was not sold on it. After using it for a couple of days, it becomes clear that it's a fantastic feature that makes life easier. I steam a lot of barista oatly unsweetened almond milk, and it produces incredible results that are the same from cup to cup. I made 20 coffee yesterday with some friends over. There was no variation between the cups, and I could grind the next shot and get my following drink setup without holding or worrying about the milk.

I had a Mythos 2 gravimetric in white before I purchased the Malkonig E80, which has the same diameter as the peak, but the results are better. The E80 grind quality is outstanding, but the Mythos 2 is another level by offering speed adjustments and larger titanium burrs at 85mm. The E65 or E65 GBW is good grinder but not for high volume. I would say its probably the barista not being able to dial in the coffee then blaming the grinder for the poor results. Still, there is inconsistency when you're pulling multiple shots because of smaller burrs and temperature, the mythos temperature controls, and low retention, making it noticeable on the quality of the coffee in the cup. The other consideration is price, the mythos 2 cost 5,500 for the gravimetric versus 3,200 for the E80, so you have to love coffee or be a bit crazy like me to take that direction.

I would equate it to buying a car. Do you get the better engine? with a fully-loaded vehicle, or do you get an average one since you will not use those features? My goal is to make a career change and start up doing events and a coffee shop. Its the reason this makes more sence to me, start with the right equipment, plus engineers always like to complicate things..lol.

111a111sk

#397: Post by 111a111sk »

It's a lot different when you plan to go commercial with the setup. I'm doing typically 4 drinks per day at home. I want only gravimetric or single dosing. I hate time dosing since I change the recipes quite a lot and beans every 250g bag. In a café where they grind hundreds of identical doses between re-dialing it might be perfectly fine.

I talked to a cafe owner, they have E80 for blend (high volume) and E65S GbW for single origins (lower volume) , they love both. However even on Slayer, the espresso there, to put it nicely, wasn't a reason to return. I bought the same microlot beans, asked for the recipe, and at home on the first attempt pulled a shot distinctly one category better. And I'm still quite a newbie. No doubt barista can screw up more than grinder can improve.

Sidenote: the best shot I've ever had came from Mythos 1 and Black Eagle.

Transporter

#398: Post by Transporter replying to 111a111sk »

Even in a cafe environment they are still required to make adjustment to the grinder through the day as temperature and humidity changes, these variation start impact the coffee extraction and flavor. I tried lots of different grinders over the years and they all have a position in the market. I personally prefer to have a grinder with lower retention which makes dialing in easier, plus the ability to access the burrs to clean them is another area that is critical.

The Mahlkonig grinders are solid but I think they have some quality issues on the first batches with collars and electronics. It's one of the reason after my second unit, I went a different direction.

Gladbjerg

#399: Post by Gladbjerg »

Thank you for your reply. I will have a look.

Gladbjerg

#400: Post by Gladbjerg »

I hope we don't make this into a Mythos II thread, when it's about the Eagle One Prima.

I personally upgraded from a Linea Mini. I ordered mine in read, but it arrived in black. The shop said, that I could use it, and they would get the red plates, and then shift them over. After a month or so, I got the red plates (and they got the black ones back). I absolutely love the change and the VA E1P. My only critique is that the machine "only" goes int standby after turning it on - on my LM I had a smart plug attached to the power, so my machine would turn on 20 min. before my alarm clock, and the machine would be nice and ready, when I woke up. Luckily the update to firmware 1 has made the VA E1P quick to warm up. A bit of an annoyance is that the seam wand is to the left - I am left handed.

Regarding the Mythos ii Gravitech. I love mine mostly. I drink about 1-2 cups a day, so it's a bit overkill. I have thought about getting a single dose, and then just weighing the beans before. But if we have a party or friends over, the grinder (and espresso machine) shines.

They made a software update to the grinder so now the minimum RPM is 700 (it was lower, when I got it)