The app is updated perhaps weekly, android 11 still doesn't find the machine though. Last they added auto-reconnect. The connection to the machine times out, not sure what the period is, maybe 1h. So now when you open the app it goes through the reconnection automatically. I'm beginning to suspect some hardware issues, and they're instead going for such workarounds. I'm worried that the android connection might be unfixable.
// Solved by enabling the location along with bluetooth
Luckily I haven't seen any errors at all. I tried to enable power management (there's only a toggle, no detailed option). Only thing I noticed is warm-up got much much slower. The machine didn't go to standby even after hours.
Volumetric dosing works wonderfully, that's what I care the most about, what I paid for. I adjust it through the app.
The espresso outcomes exceeded my expectations, there's been not a single undrinkable shot yet, or let's say below-average café level. Most attempts I'd place in the 90th percentile.
Steaming is overwhelmingly fast for newbie like me, took me 2 weeks to make a decent milk drink. Not to mention the latte-rorschach attempts
Shower screen doesn't seem to do a great job to me, I'll definitely try the IMS SI200NT.
Baskets I got are the blind, 7g marked, 14g marked (2nd one with bottomless portafilter), probably 18g (24mm height), and maybe 22g (26.5mm height).
I'm pretty confident about the 18g one, with 18.5g dose the shower screen screw makes a dry imprint.
Now I watched their video on the Power management. He says it reduces power spikes during the initial warm-up by not using all heating elements simultaneously. Which sound pretty damn useless. But the 2-group Eagle One has on/off scheduler! So hopefully coming soon to Prima.
The password to tech settings is 1936 and there you can see the Firmware version (mine also has V32). And not much else. Someone was wondering if you can just walk in a café and mess with their Eagle One - so no, here you can set a password.