Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima - Page 25

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
111a111sk

#241: Post by 111a111sk »

And can the baskets that come with Prima be used with 58.5mm tamper? I read in this thread that it fits tight, but like "breaking the puck with suction tight" or just tight but no problem?

MTN Gert (original poster)

#242: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) replying to 111a111sk »

Tight but no problem. Never sucked a puck out of place
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

Advertisement

#243: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

Today I put back in the IMS 16/20g basket and hit a few of those magical shots of intense sweetness and flavor clarity. I rarely got one of those over the last few weeks while using the VA precision 14g basket. I think the VA one is more geared towards darker roasts with this machine. What has everyone's experience been with baskets and the Prima? Such a cheap change can make a big difference, more so than burrs upgrades. I am thinking about buying the other sizes of IMS baskets to see if there is one that works even better in general. The LM strada 21g basket did not impress me at all and that is a LOT of coffee.

edwinp0606

#244: Post by edwinp0606 »

Gert, I have a VST 18g and with Barista Hustle tamper. I don't like. I consistently get channeling around the edges. Thinking of either getting a Decent or IMS. Any channeling issues with your basket and what tamper do you use on IMS? Thanks.

#245: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

I don't have any channeling issues but find that to often from the grinder and or puck prep and not the basket.

This is the basket https://www.amazon.com/IMS-Competition- ... ljaz10cnVl

I use this tamper 58.5mm walnut https://www.amazon.com/Espresso-Tamper- ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also I have a batista Hustle 58.4mm and a Rhino 58.4mm both work great as well.

Do you get channeling issues with your Factory basket?

What grinder are you using?

edwinp0606

#246: Post by edwinp0606 »

I have a mini Mazzer. I had channeling issues using the VA basket (worst) around the sides because the tamper that came with it had too much gap. Just curious, since I did not have this issue with my old La Spaziale (53mm basket). I used the same grinder. If I had channeling issue with LaSpa, it was not around the edges. I have done all the tricks I know. I have ridged VST basket.

#247: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

Have you tried WDT? That should mostly rule out the grinder if it is still having problems after whisking. Also what is your dose? I am doing 19g in my 16/20g basket

Advertisement
edwinp0606

#248: Post by edwinp0606 »

I have done WDT. 18g VST basket. I have tried from 17 -20g. Not quite sure if it is because of the shower screen. But you don't seem to have an issue with it. I would hate to change the grinder and find out later it is not the culprit. So, working on the process of elimination by starting with the low cost machine parts first.

#249: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

Even though the factory shower screen works well and is well built I did upgrade mine to the IMS shower screen for $15 when I upgraded my group gasket to the silicone Cafelat

Phaedrus

#250: Post by Phaedrus »

It's nice to see this thread has reverted back to more posts on hands on experience and fewer posts with complaints. But please, tell us more about the machine! Pics, videos, programming, etc. Inquisitive people want to know!