Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MTN Gert (original poster)

#11: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

jgood wrote:Is the app available for iPhone or just Android?
Apple and Android

I have not used an apple product with the app
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

#12: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

lessthanjoey wrote:Can you adjust flow-rate/water debit for PI? Or is it "pump on for x seconds, pump off for y seconds, then into the normal shot"?
The simonelli tech told me there is a separate orifice for pre infusion but yes it's pump on time pump off time ramp up to brew pressure

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
edwinp0606

#13: Post by edwinp0606 »

Hi OP. Thank you for sharing your experience on this machine. I am waiting for mine, but I can also cancel it at anytime while it has not been delivered yet. So, trying to learn more about the functions of the machine and draw backs. If you don't mind, I have few questions below:
a. Is the brew pressure adjustment knob easily accessible under the machine?
b. During operation, can you adjust the brew pressure and is the pressure reading real time?
c. The on and off can be done on the machine only?

It is a disappointment that you can't set up the machine on a timer to power it on and off. Hopefully, the machine is not a disappointment to you at least.

Thanks.

#14: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) » replying to edwinp0606 »

A: yes easily accessible
B: sure you could because it attached directly to the pump but that would be an awkward way to adjust during brewing. App shows current pressure with a second delay
C: it has a physical on off rocker switch but you must hold the center grouphead button for 4 seconds to bring it out of standby

The machine has a USB port for updates and I'm sure the app will update too. I don't see why Siminelli can fix the start requirement in the future. Since the machine is low power use I may just leave it on days I need it ready in the morning.

If I lived in Germany with 5x the power cost I may be more upset.

I am not disappointed in the performance and build quality so far. Some of the very best coffee ive had has come from the few days of owning this machine.

edwinp0606

#15: Post by edwinp0606 »

Hi OP. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a keeper. Will be following your post for any new posts. You are awesome.

#16: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

Update:
I got an email back from simonelli today

They said the updates should be weekly

Power saving mode option is disabled on the app because a 110v socket can't handle full machine power

The owners manual shows a few app features that don't exist (auto purge, etc), they have since released a new owners manual

Weekly machine schedule is coming soon but no specific eta. This was one of my big critiques and I am happy they are working on it

My Samsung S20 phone could not find the machine in app while my old S7 worked immediately. They said Android 7.0 or higher are compatible. I hope they will look into this further

Standby mode does not do anything but keep the circuit board active but no heating even at a lower temp. I am still unclear why there is a standby mode when the on off rocker switch is easily accessed and is pretty much the same thing as standby functionally.

bigkraig

#17: Post by bigkraig » replying to MTN Gert »

That's good to hear about the updates, one of the concerns I have is long term support of the app as phones evolve and old apps become incompatible.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts

#18: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) »

Weekly update:

A few thoughts on this weeks use of the Prima

Temperature stability is excellent when fully warmed up.
The machine let's you know it's not staying at target temp.
If you start to pull shots right after it reaches temp on warm up but has not thoroughly soaked in the heat throughout the boilers and group head the display will show the current temp until it reached programmed temp before disappearing again. I would say the machine is stable for brew and steam about 20-25min from start up. Time to initially hit brew temp is about 12min but the brew temp is not stable for back to back shots at 12min

I played with preinfusion in the app and I'll try to describe my experience.
The app has 3 sliders to adjust
1: brew water on time
2: brew water off time
3: time to repeat the first 2 settings

For example factory setting 3 sec on 3 sec off total time 6 sec and then normal brew starts

I set it 2 seconds on 8 seconds off and total time 20 seconds resulting in 2 on 8 off 2 on 8 off then normal brew

The brew pump stays active the entire time but the water flow is opened and closed by the settings

To my disappointment a quick check makes it seam like pre infusion flow is not modified by a separate orifice like I was told. I believe the black eagle, white eagle and probably the multi group eagle one all use a modified flow technology.

I have not changed my mind that the espresso the Prima makes is as good or better than a Linea mini and GS3av and better than any E61 commercial and prosumer machine I have used. I am not professional tasting judge so YMMV

For those looking to flow/pressure profile a GS3MP, Synesso Hydra, Slayer 1gr, or even a DE1XL could open new doors to an espresso science playground. Personally I have not changed my mind on my purchase and I still think the slayer is the only practical home machine to beat all around but at a $4000 cost increase over the Prima.

edwinp0606

#19: Post by edwinp0606 »

Hi MTN Gert,
Thanks for the weekly update. Can you elaborate a little bit by what you mean by these:

1. The brew pump stays active the entire time but the water flow is opened and closed by the settings
--- that although it says off on the App but in fact it is the water is flowing, hence it actually is on?

2. To my disappointment a quick check makes it seam like pre infusion flow is not modified by a separate orifice like I was told. I believe the black eagle, white eagle and probably the multi group eagle one all use a modified flow technology.
--- I can't follow that you meant here by " pre-infusion is not modified by a separate orifice", how is this a disappointment?

#20: Post by MTN Gert (original poster) » replying to edwinp0606 »

1: no matter the setting, once the brew button is pressed the rotary brew pump stays on throughout the entire brew process. The preinfusion setting allow a solenoid to open and close to allow the flow of water to start and stop, instead of a continuous flow of water with preinfusion turned off.

2: when I talked to a simonelli tech before purchase he gave me the impression that there was a separate smaller gicleur or jet for preinfusion to slow the water flow rate. I think he may have been guessing that this machine had this technology or maybe I misunderstood. It is a small disappointment because I thought I was getting an addition feature that I am realizing the Prima does not have.

This machine does not really need pre infusion because it has a much slower flow rate than a E61 prosumer machine which blasts the coffee puck with high flow immediately.

Did this help clear up your questions?