Group jet for an Elektra A3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cannonfodder
Team HB

#1: Post by cannonfodder »

Having had my Elektra for a while, I want to experiment with the water debit and pressure ramp profile of the machine. I pulled the group jet to see what size it is. My gauge (standard not metric) fit a 0.030 inch wire with a little slack. Guessing that jets run in 0.1mm increments that would put my jet at 0.8mm.

I would like to get a 0.7 and 0.6 mm jet but do not know where to get them. I did a quick search on a few vendors' web pages but came up empty for Elektra group jets.

Any recommendations?
Dave Stephens

jesawdy

#2: Post by jesawdy »

Dave-

Do you have a picture of the jet? (just curious what this bit looks like and how it is different from a gicleur)
Jeff Sawdy

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

I recall that Michael and Angelo at espresso parts source have a smaller jet for the Elektras. The standard one is 0.9, and there's a 0.5 out there somewhere.
Jim Schulman

Grant

#4: Post by Grant »

jesawdy wrote:Dave-

Do you have a picture of the jet? (just curious what this bit looks like and how it is different from a gicleur)
Far as I know, it is the same thing....tore an A3 apart some time ago for maintenance and could not tell the difference "visually".

Is the jet in the Elektra a slightly different size/thread than the "standard" e-61 jet/gicleur?

The jet I had to remove appeared to be the same as the one I just replaced in my Bricoletta.

Got mine from Espressoparts
Grant

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

The group jet on the Elektra A3 is different than the stock E61 jet. The assembly is taller and the threads are smaller in diameter although the pitch looks to be the same.

The Elektra jet is on the left, a standard E-61 jet on the right.

Dave Stephens

Stuggi

#6: Post by Stuggi »

If I were you I would take that elektra jet to a welders store and check out the tips for MIG/MAG-welders. They come with holes ranging from 0,4 mm to 1,2 mm (may be more sizes, I don't know). If the threading fits, you'll have dirt cheap parts to fool around with.

Here's a pic of a 0,8 mm one. They look slightly different depending on model and make...

http://www.swscenter.org/bin/images/gea ... nozzle.jpg
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Actually, that is how I measured it, with a piece of .030 flux-core MIG wire from my welder. Group jets are cheap, $2-3 each. It is not worth taking the chance of damaging a $3K machine over a $3 part. EspressoParts NW is checking to see if they can get me a 0.6 and 0.7.
Dave Stephens

Stuggi

#8: Post by Stuggi »

So they're so cheap. I'm used to pavonis spareparts prices so I thought they would cost 10's of dollars each...
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

BradS

#9: Post by BradS »

cannonfodder wrote:Having had my Elektra for a while, I want to experiment with the water debit and pressure ramp profile of the machine. I pulled the group jet to see what size it is. My gauge (standard not metric) fit a 0.030 inch wire with a little slack. Guessing that jets run in 0.1mm increments that would put my jet at 0.8mm.

I would like to get a 0.7 and 0.6 mm jet but do not know where to get them. I did a quick search on a few vendors' web pages but came up empty for Elektra group jets.

Any recommendations?
Hi Dave,

If you don't have any luck with OEM jets, check out Beswick Engineering in Greenland, NH. They have micro-orifice jets with M3, M5 and 10-32 threads with 50 standard orifice sizes ranging from .004" to .076" available in brass, 303 SS or 316 SS. Add a -V on the part number for viton o-ring (or -T or -S for teflon or silicone, resp.).

http://www.beswick.com/products/product ... hp?pid=141
or:
http://www.beswick.com/products/product ... hp?pid=139

Orifice size table:
http://www.beswick.com/products/product ... .php?rid=3

When you figure out what thread it is, please advise - I'd like to follow along! I have ordered from Beswick several times, and they are very good to deal with. Their mini compression fittings are great for TC adapters also.

Good luck,

Brad

Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Still looking for a jet. I contacted Espresso Parts Source, they do have a 0.7mm jet for the Elektra but nothing smaller. I contacted Stefano of Stefano's Espresso Care. He does carry Elektra parts but only stocks the OEM jet.

On thing Stefano pointed out, the jet in my photo is actually two parts. There is a riser (long hex lower portion) and the jet which is the thin upper hex fitting. I am embarrassed to say that I thought they were one piece. I had a moment of hope, maybe the upper jet uses the same thread as a standard E61 jet. So I pulled the jet out again and removed the jet, no luck. The lower riser and the jet use the same thread.

Ironically, the carburetor jets on my Kawasaki use the same thread as Elektra's group jets. I had a spare set of carb jets in the tool box from a carb tune session a couple of years ago.
Dave Stephens