Getting to know the Izzo Alex - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jmatt (original poster)

#81: Post by jmatt (original poster) »

lparsons21 wrote:Thanks to DaveC, I had my Expobar single-hole steam tip waiting for me when I got home.

Really works great for my smaller pitcher. Quick and much easier than the 2-holer was.

thanks for the tip, Dave!
Where did you source the Expobar single-hole steam tip? I need one.

lparsons21

#82: Post by lparsons21 »

I got it at wholelattelove.com

Works great too!
Lloyd

bluesman13

#83: Post by bluesman13 »

last post on this thread dec 2006.

How is everyones Alex holding up? Did all your problems get worked out? How are your pulls? Anything you'd like to share with a prospective buyer?

BowedToothDoc

#84: Post by BowedToothDoc replying to bluesman13 »

Yeah,
I am interested as well since I just ordered an Alex and Macap grinder from Chris. Should be arriving shortly after the holiday weekend.

kinkbmxco

#85: Post by kinkbmxco »

Ive owned my Alex MK1 for some time ... I believe 6 months is creeping up right about now...
Nothing bad to report. Only very small annoyances and some of them were remedied in the newer model, the mK2. By this I am referring to primarily my dislike of the small steam knobs. I must reiterate how insignificant this really is, but I stare with jealous eyes to those big Vetrano steam and hot water knobs. I just find the Alex knobs to be small and unsubstantial in my hand, and from an aesthetic standpoint, I also like larger knobs too.
Multi Directional wands is another gripe I have with MY Mk1, but the MK2 does come equip with these, as well as a brew pressure and boiler pressure gauge.
I love my machine and have never really encountered any technical issues with it.
I back flushed with detergent once and for a short period of time after, it was making a chirping noise which eventually went away. Thats the extent of my issues.
If I could go back in time...
I still probably would have got an Alex.
It was either the Alex or Vetrano. But with Alex's extra capability to use as a plumb in (Current set up) or a pour over, was important to me so that gave me the extra push.

Occasionally there is some rattle from the cup warmer tray, this could be easily fixed but I have been too absent minded to fix it as of late.
hope this helps..

lparsons21

#86: Post by lparsons21 »

bluesman13 wrote:last post on this thread dec 2006.

How is everyones Alex holding up? Did all your problems get worked out? How are your pulls? Anything you'd like to share with a prospective buyer?
I've had my Alex Mk2 since Dec 2006. It has worked flawlessly and today's cup was just as good as the last, which was as good as the last.... :D

No problems after some initial tweaks.

I do a shot in the AM to wake me up, an Americano to drink with the news and generally either a Cafe Crema or Americano later in the day and sometimes in the night. Never a burp in operation.
Lloyd

BowedToothDoc

#87: Post by BowedToothDoc replying to lparsons21 »

Good to hear Guy's! I can't wait to get it set up and start pulling some nice shots.
I have some Black Cat waiting and some Redline on the way :D
Hopefully dialing in the M4 won't be too difficult.

bluesman13

#88: Post by bluesman13 »

BTD (!),

I'm considering the exact setup as you - macap and alex. I'm very nervous about pulling the trigger. Kind of like having a Ferrari in your garage and afraid to drive it.

BowedToothDoc

#89: Post by BowedToothDoc replying to bluesman13 »

Actually, More like a M1 Abrams :D
72 lbs!

BowedToothDoc

#90: Post by BowedToothDoc »

Patiently waiting for Brown to deliver the new 72lb baby!
Hopefully no shipping damage, should be able to start pulling some shots this afternoon if all goes well. :P