Gallery of User Turned Wooden Handles - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
networkcrasher

#41: Post by networkcrasher »

iginfect wrote:This hasn't been answered. My naked pf is a Rancilio which has an open end to get to the nut to attach. Most pf handles have a male end, the Rancilio has a female.

Marvin
Did you not see Dave's post?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#42: Post by cannonfodder »

You have to drill a very large hole with a Forstner bit for the bolt end, then a brad point for the back end of the tapered shaft. Then take it off the vice, turn it around, get it perfectly centered on the drill press on the other end of the stock and drill the larger hole for the thick end of the tapered shaft. Since the shaft is a fixed size, you have to set your press depth settings for all 3 drillings so each section is the correct length. If it is not perfectly aligned in the vice for the drill press your holes will be off center and you have to start over. Once they are drilled you have to chisel the square for both ends of the portafilter's dog stops to fit into. Then you can chuck it and turn it in the lathe. I turned a press fit end cap to close the big hole up in the end of the portafilter and turned a matched tamp handle out of bloodwood.

Major pain. The next one wont be $35, more like $80 because of all the work involved. Or you could get the drill press, drill bits, lathe, tools and turn one. It only took $1800 in tools to make it. Seriously, it took all evening to figure out how to make it. That taper is the killer.

Dave Stephens

Lockman

#43: Post by Lockman »

Beautiful Dave, beautiful!. I really like the matching cap on the handle as well. I wish I was the one who put the first order in. :P
Naw, I am too hard on my PF's handles anyway (leave in the sink). I think some tamper handles are in order though! :wink:
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"