Gallery of User Turned Wooden Handles - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CRCasey

#11: Post by CRCasey »

This is somewhat related, but I wanted to ask the lathe folk a question. I got a Shopsmith from my Grandfather, but I have never used it as a lathe. Is this an ok unit for that, or would I be better off getting a low priced dedicated tool?

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

cannonfodder
Team HB

#12: Post by cannonfodder »

ShopSmith makes a super lathe, bad table saw, ok band saw and strip sander, good jointer. Dad has the big monster SM. Retired from the police department and worked part time at the big ShopSmith distribution/engineering centre here in Dayton, until they closed a year or two ago.
Dave Stephens

cafeIKE

#13: Post by cafeIKE »

Rule 1 with a lathe : ALWAYS check the speed before turning it on. Our high school shop had half a bowl embedded in each wall as a reminder.

If you're going to sharpen your own tools, learn how. Too many tools get ruined by grinding the temper out. If you're an artisan, use a stone, twice as often as you think you should.

CRCasey

#14: Post by CRCasey »

cannonfodder wrote:ShopSmith makes a super lathe, bad table saw, ok band saw and strip sander, good jointer. Dad has the big monster SM. Retired from the police department and worked part time at the big ShopSmith distribution/engineering centre here in Dayton, until they closed a year or two ago.
9/10 of the time I use it as the perfect totally variable drill press. But I guess that translates to the perfect horizontal turning thing as well, if you have a good end bearing. Now I have to go find parts I have never used and see if they are in working condition.

CF: I have to assume that they only had one, so does that mean that Shopsmith is dead?

Thanks for another way to use up my time :)
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

JonR10

#15: Post by JonR10 »

I keep tuning in to see this thread but apparently nobody else is posting pictures to this galley.....

Alrighty then. I didn't turn these but Johannes Farino did.
He's a great guy who does excellent work. He did both the portafilter and the tamper :-)

Sorry about the crop - i need to go back sometime and re-do it
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

da gino

#16: Post by da gino »

Hey Jon, those are really nice! What kind of wood did he use?

Hugh

espressme

#17: Post by espressme »

Anyone can do it. I agree with Dave. Get someone who knows how to help you learn. There are many organisations and stores which teach lathe basics. Again learn to sharpen tools. Some of the woods like old very dry Ebony and Purplehart are notorious for shattering if poorly treated.
Cleo in another set of new clothes: Cocobolo this time.

-Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

cannonfodder
Team HB

#18: Post by cannonfodder »

Ok. A few shameless posts

A pink ivory silver tip badger shaving brush and a 100+ year old French made wedge razor I hand sanded and polished to a mirror finish from a rusty hulk.
Dave Stephens

cannonfodder
Team HB

#19: Post by cannonfodder »

My machine in Bacote

Dave Stephens

cannonfodder
Team HB

#20: Post by cannonfodder »

Not a turning, but a a very old 3 day razor set hand sanded and polished then mounted in some epoxy resin finished Olive wood.

Dave Stephens