Gaggia TD project

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
John_Yossarian

#1: Post by John_Yossarian »

Hello All,

I did post this at the Coffeegeek forum (https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... nes/608193) but it did not get any replies (after three days) and I thought I would post it here. I really would like to give it an early start. Thanks in advance for your time!

I have got hold of a Gaggia DT 1 group machine and given the age of the machine (made somewhere in 2002) and the short life of it (Gaggia did not make lots of them for some reason) it is almost impossible to find anything in Europe.

I have been searching most of the Coffee forums and come across a few topics here that mention the same machine.

I am looking for an exploded diagram or any pictures that could shed more light on re-assembling an already disassembled machine. As the latter was not done by me I do not have all the information I would need to do a proper project of it.

I will greatly appreciate any information/direction as to how to get hold of some diagrams.

Thank you in advance for your consideration!

Best regards

John

TrueBrew

#2: Post by TrueBrew »

John,
By any chance do you have a photo of the machine, and is it a commercial 1gp. I am familiar commercial Gaggia machines of the 70's, 80's, and 90's vintage. If I see a picture of the machine, or in this case parts, I might be of some use to you.
Pat

John_Yossarian

#3: Post by John_Yossarian »

Pat,

The machine is 1 group commercial one with 5 l boiler inside and 2.5 kW heating element. I will try to post a picture. As this would be my first picture I hope that you can see it.

Gaggia did not make many of these and information is scarce. I will much appreciate if you could help me with some information.

Cheers,
Jordan

Edit: The machine was made in 2002.
Edit: I have just checked the label on the machine: 31 August 1999. Hopefully it should be in your 90's list of machines.

gor-l

#4: Post by gor-l »

Aha! Collection from darwen I think. ;)
Good to see it appear on here - it looked like an interesting project.

I can't help with diagrams. :(
But good luck with the rebuild! :)
I'm (still) working on a Cimbali 2 group in lancs. Are you local?

Best,
Thom.

John_Yossarian

#5: Post by John_Yossarian »

Hi Thom,

You are not wrong :) it is the Darwen machine. I was out on business for the first round but the buyer did not pay so the seller put it back. Were you bidding too? :)

I have never seen before a massive 5 l boiler machine to have an electrically heated group head. It could be a good thing though. Fingers crossed. I have read something here that Gaggia did not continue with this trend.

If Wirral could be called local, then I am :).

Cimbali are great machines. Fortunately, there are plenty of diagrams for them. I have tried to find a link to some contact information for the Gaggia guys in Italy but I must have been too optimistic.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,
Jordan

TrueBrew

#6: Post by TrueBrew »

Tom,
I do not have info on that model, but try this link http://www.caffesociety.co.uk/gaggia-te-td.html they are in North Yorkshire and it appears they have the TD and TS models for sale. They must know something about them. If they cannot help, and you plan a rebuild, I am sure it is newer version of the D-90, and I know I can at least steer you in the right direction if you keep me updated with pictures.
Good Luck,
Pat

gor-l

#7: Post by gor-l »

Jordan, I wasn't bidding. It was just one of those "hmm a 1 group machine huh.." moments. :P

5 litres probably seems big for a 1 group but you should see the same kind of temperature stability and steaming capacity etc seen in bigger machines. My 2gr Cimbali has a 10 litre boiler. Is yours a heat exchanger?

Regarding your rebuild, are there any specific snags or do you just want the peace of mind of having diagrams to hand? In an odd way, having done the work I have on my Cimbali, I would be less concerned about a diagram if I did another. It was mainly a means to getting part numbers for spares.

I'm in preston - not far away.

Perhaps if you post a pic of what you have, the generous contibutors on here will point you in the right direction.

Best,
Thom.

John_Yossarian

#8: Post by John_Yossarian »

Hi Pat,

I have just dropped them a line, I am hopeful they would respond positively.

I will definitely get back to you should I get stuck withh something.The condition upon I bought it was to do somme decoration first and then I will have my ride with the machine :).

Thanks for pointing me out in the right direction.

Cheers,
Jordan

John_Yossarian

#9: Post by John_Yossarian »

Hi Thom,

My request is mostly about "peace-of-mind" when I start looking for parts and the easiest way is to have the manufacturer's code number.

I have not got stuck with anything yet (I have not started it as currently I am having bad back pain and I have promised to do some work on the house before I start my project, there is always a trade off line, doesn't it :)) but one thing I could do with at the moment is to source a small elbow fitting for the boiler. Once back at work I will pay a visit to a friend who might give me some advice.

I totally agree with you on the re-build, I can now re-build my bezzera or a similar one in no time. It is the "first" time that is always more difficult :).

Cheers,
Jordan