Gaggia Classic problem

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nenadbilav

#1: Post by nenadbilav »

Hello to everybody,I'm new owner of Gaggia classic machine and I need little help.When I press button for steaming,red light on the right button won't turn on and after some time come loud noise from opv pipe in the tank.This is a video of the problem

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Is this a new machine or just new to you? I don't recall ever hearing the noise. As for the lights--I'll take a look at mine tomorrow. I don't remember if the right light goes off when you go to 'steam.' I don't pull shots on my Classic anymore--I only use the steam. The right light does go on and off depending on where the boiler 'is' in the heating cycle so I'm thinking the light might go off for steam. I only use to watch the light when I was temp surfing.

C-Antonio

#3: Post by C-Antonio »

They turned around the way the lights work here and there. However in your model it should be a "ready" light, so it will turn on when ip to a certain temperature.
If the light NEVER turns on then there might be a problem with it so: when you brew only without using the steam does the light turns on? if it does the light works properly. You should be in the situation where you turn the machine on and it warms up to brew, the light will turn on briefly then turn off (boiler metal gets hot, water inside isnt hot yet, heat is passing from the metal to the boiler) at one point the light is on steadily and you could brew a coffee if you wanted. With the light on you press the steam button and the light goes off, it tells you its heating at an higher temperature for steaming, eventually that light turns back on. If the light turns on and off that way then it works and your light and switch assembly have nothing wrong.
The noise you hear is the water being pushed back by the steam. If your classic was fixed to brew at a lower pressure then it can happen more easily.

There is one extra thermal fuse on top of the boiler, thats a safety in case the steam thermostat had something wrong and the whole thing would overheat too much, that fuse would break down and interrupt the electricity. If you got your machine used its always a good thing to look inside and make sure that, if the machine had problems before and blew the fuse, noone bridged it with with a wire instead of replacing it and fixing the thermostats.
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”

nenadbilav (original poster)

#4: Post by nenadbilav (original poster) »

Machine is second hand.I will try to change steam thermostat,to see if light will go ON,and for the brew pressure i wait for pressure gauge tester to check

C-Antonio

#5: Post by C-Antonio replying to nenadbilav »

before changing the steam thermostat read my reply above again (edited it)

You can do one simple check, the thermostat opens at a certain temperature interrupting the electricity to the heating elements that turns on the light, to simulate that:
1) unplug the machine
2) make sure the machine is unplugged
3) really make sure the machine is unplugged
4) open the top of the machine
5) unplug one of the connectors of the steam thermostat (simulates thermostat open)
6) turn the main switch ON (with the machine NOT plugged in)
7) keep the hands away from the machine and plug it in

the main light is on and the ready light should be on

8 ) unplug the machine
9) switch OFF the main button

Now you know that your switch assembly works properly all is in in place etc (if the light was on for brew you knew already but you had to check inside the machine anyways so...).
Usually a failed thermostat remains open and the problem would be not heating, so yours might be perfectly fine, the way to check it is to bring it to its rated temperature and see if it opens, that can be done in the machine or, in a lot safer way, taking it out and testing it on its own.

#6: Post by nenadbilav (original poster) »

Thermal fuse i in one peace,not broken,and light for brew is on and off like you said.only when press midlle buton for preasure for steam light don't want to turn ON when the preassure is good for steam the milk.i will check now to unplugged one connector from steam thermostat.If light don't turn on,therm is broken or no?

#7: Post by nenadbilav (original poster) »

When i do what you say,ready light is on when plug machine to electricity

C-Antonio

#8: Post by C-Antonio »

so the switch assembly etc works as it should.

The steam pressure will start before the steam ready light turns on

If the pressure has been set to 9 bars what you hear is an hiss then the gurgle of water bushed back in the tank, thats already steam good to go and you just lost steam pressure through the OPV.

#9: Post by nenadbilav (original poster) »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-KM4rfTWsI
Is this thermostat good or broken

#10: Post by nenadbilav (original poster) »

I open steam wand after 30 second after press middle buton.And steam is very good and strong.But the light dont go ON,I wait 2-3 min to test it