Gaggia Classic 2016 - OPV pressure change?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Nickbennett

#1: Post by Nickbennett »

Hi all,

Just bought a Gaggia classic to use with a preciso grinder and struggling to get a 20+ second shot. Tastes okay but pulls pretty quick event at the finest grind.

Tried to follow instructions to modify pressure but the new model looks pretty different Inside.

Any help appreciated!

jonr

#2: Post by jonr »

IMO, an espresso grinder should always be able to grind fine enough to choke the machine.

Alan Frew

#3: Post by Alan Frew »

I hate to say it, but DAMN! that looks a lot like the insides of a Saeco. For instance, that's a SS 180ml boiler, and the clamped braided hoses where there used to be copper pipes. The OPV seems to be plastic and I doubt if it's "adjustable" in the normal sense. The only "Classic" parts are the exterior shell and switches. It should be labelled "No user-serviceable parts inside."

Alan

jonr

#4: Post by jonr »

Maybe better to add a dimmer or variac - these will also give you preinfusion and if you have a good eye/hand, flow control.

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

Alan Frew wrote:I hate to say it, but DAMN! that looks a lot like the insides of a Saeco. For instance, that's a SS 180ml boiler, and the clamped braided hoses where there used to be copper pipes. The OPV seems to be plastic and I doubt if it's "adjustable" in the normal sense. The only "Classic" parts are the exterior shell and switches. It should be labelled "No user-serviceable parts inside."
Alan
A Gaggia Classic in name only. It's an embarrassment.

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

When you're getting a full shot faster than 20 seconds, the OPV would not normally be a factor at all, irrespective of whether it's at a factory setting of ~12 bar or tweaked down to 8-9 bar. At that fast flowrate your brew pressure is probably well under 9 bar. So sounds to me like your coffee dose is too small, or is fractured by a bad tamp, or most likely is too coarse.

With a proper dose and tamp and at the finest setting your Preciso should be able to produce choked or nearly choked shots that require way over 20 seconds. I think you might want to look into your grinder calibration. See: http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploa ... ration.pdf .
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Nickbennett (original poster)

#7: Post by Nickbennett (original poster) »

Thanks for all the info. Have recalibrated and will try again..!

Belluca

#8: Post by Belluca »

thank you philips.