Futurmat Ariete - Seeking information

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mattonomics

#1: Post by mattonomics »

Howdy! I'm new to the world of espresso and would really like to refurbish a machine. I came across something recently and am considering it but am having a super tough time tracking down info. Hoping y'all can help point me in any direction!

Here's the machine I'm hoping to learn about:

The current owner has shared that the right group head is not working due to scale build up. I'm sure that the guts of this thing needs to be stripped, cleaned and descaled, and I guarantee that pipes, fittings, gaskets, etc will need to be replaced. I'm concerned that there may be proprietary parts that will need replacing; any thoughts on that would be very helpful.

Here's the s/n just in case:

Thanks!!

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Well the first problem is its a 220v 50hz power so it is wired for Europe. US is 60hz which may give you problems with some the electronics and needs 16 amps so you will need a 20 amp 220 and a frequency converter or take your luck. I would not buy the scaled shut on one group either. Could be solenoid, or any number of other problems. Flow meters could have issues, could be a bunch of things. You also need to plumb it in and drain it out and you will need the pump motor and pump which may not be inboard.
Dave Stephens

mattonomics (original poster)

#3: Post by mattonomics (original poster) »

cannonfodder wrote:I would not buy the scaled shut on one group either. Could be solenoid, or any number of other problems. Flow meters could have issues, could be a bunch of things. You also need to plumb it in and drain it out and you will need the pump motor and pump which may not be inboard.
That's great feedback, I really appreciate it. Power I'm less concerned about because we can deal with that (benefits of master electrician bff). I'm ultra concerned about the internal state of the machine and there's no way I can diagnose it before making an offer. I don't necessarily mind to do work on it, even if it takes months, and I have access to a machine shop so can probably solve problems that could be difficult for some. But you hit some major points that would trash the entire project.

I'm guessing parts for this beast will be...challenging...to acquire. Feeling like a lost cause unless I get it insanely cheap...

imrob

#4: Post by imrob »

I did some searches and found one being sold in Spain for 2500€ (In restored condition). No idea if that's the actual value, but just to give you a data point on potential value. For reference, a Faema Jubile (2 group) is being sold for 4500€ by the same company as well as some normam Futurmats for 800-1k

There were some pictures of the inside, so I'll drop them here in case they are of any use to you:

Regarding spare parts, I'm pretty sure you are looking at a fancier Ariete 'Electronic' in which case it looks like you can still get parts for it: http://www.qualityespresso.net/images/S ... Ariete.pdf

Edit; it's an Ariete Electronic Lux :)

Edit2: if you take up the project and can't get parts shipped to the US just hit me up.

mattonomics (original poster)

#5: Post by mattonomics (original poster) »

That is super helpful. Would really appreciate a link to the units for sale. That's he first price I've seen associated with one of these.

Looking through this and considering the state of the machine, I'm guessing fixing it will be almost as expensive as getting a new one :roll:

I do NOT want this unit at my house forever so I'd want to sell it eventually, but seems like margins would be really slim...will have to think about this a lot more. Not sure if I want my first big project to be one with this large of road bumps.

I sincerely appreciate the offer to help with parts acquisition! Same on my side, if ever needed.

imrob

#6: Post by imrob »

Just scroll down on this website until you see it: http://www.veafred.com/maquinaria-auxiliar

'Mostrar más' means 'show more' - click that once you reach the bottom of the page.

As for restoration; I'm currently restoring an Urania and am a total newbie. I think it's doable, but I'm still looking at a pile of pieces :P This thread might be of particular interest; I think the machines are going to be of similar difficulty: Newbie Seeks Advice - Elektra Maxi (Modern) 2 Project

That said, if you only want to restore it in order to sell later on, it might not be worth the effort, particularly if the seller still wants a good bit of money. Apart from parts it takes a lot of work/time. IMO you either do it as a labour of love or a learning opportunity; not primarily as a means to make profit.

topbrew

#7: Post by topbrew »

Just so you know I bought this machine. Its not for sale on FB anymore. I have a thread with my restoration!

My latest find **FUTURMAT 14k Gold** edition