Follow-up: Quickmill Vetrano 2B - Which Steam Tip for 8-10 oz of Milk?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JR_Germantown

#1: Post by JR_Germantown »

This is a long-term follow-up to the "Quickmill Vetrano 2B - Which Steam Tip for 8-10 oz of Milk?" topic started by shanec about a year and a half ago. I think it's worth a follow-up because over time, my own preferences have changed. I suspect everybody in the discussion has had some time to get accustomed to new steam tips, and share what they've learned.

When I posted In that topic, I had given up on all 4-hole tips, reverted to my original 2-hole tip. I even sold the Izzo 3-hole tip to shanec.

But thanks to my daughter's encouragement, and the advice from a local world class barista, I kept trying the Izzo 4-hole tip. I'm happy to report that I eventually learned to like it, and I can get great foam with as little as 3 oz of milk.

I decided to have another go at the Chris Coffee 4-hole tip that came with the machine. Wow, it is about twice as fast as even the 4-hole Izzo tips. But so far, I have not been able to get the quality of foam as I got with the Izzo tips. I have managed some improvement, so I plan to keep working on it. The increased speed is really nice when serving guests, but I'm still not happy with visible bubbles in the foam.

So I'm just wondering--
Have any others (especially shanec) come to different conclusions since we posted in that previous topic?
And has anyone managed to get great foam using the 4-hole tip supplied by Chris Coffee?

Jack

Kryptonicspb

#2: Post by Kryptonicspb »

I've gone back to the 2 hole and bumped my pressure up to 1.5 bar and have not looked back. Pressure stays at 1 bar all through steaming and I'm able to texturize really well now. 4 hole was always too wet and the pressure drops fast

JR_Germantown (original poster)

#3: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

I'm glad I didn't give up. I'm still making progress. After another three days of using the original "Chris Coffee" 4-hole tip, I've noticed a few things:
  • I have to be really careful not to stretch aggressively.
  • After stretching, I have to deliberately find a spot that won't keep slurping in air. With the finer Izzo 4-hole tip, I went for a tumbling effect. With this faster tip, the tumbling is too violent, and it causes big, random slurps (big bubbles). So a smooth whirlpool style works much better for me.
  • This tip works so fast, I have to watch the temperature much more closely. By the time the pitcher feels hot (as it did with the Izzo tip), the milk is actually hotter. I was overheating pretty consistently. It's a challenge to stop at just the right point, since the temp rises so fast.
I've had a few today, and each one has improved. I'd post a pic, but the pour went wobbly so I didn't take one. Maybe next time. ;)

Jack

liquidmetal

#4: Post by liquidmetal »

I'm on a lucca m58 which is basically the V2b. I much prefer using the 2 hole tip. The 4 hole was just way to fast/aggressive for me and the steam boiler pressure drops so fast. It'd likely be a lot better on 20a mode...

#5: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

Following up again. I've quit using the fast 4-hole tip that came with my machine. Although I was getting good consistency, the bubbles were a little too coarse for me.

I've settled (I think) on the Izzo four-hole tip that has a center hole with three holes around it. It seems to have larger holes than the other Izzo four-hole tip that came in the same assortment. I'm getting great consistency with really fine bubbles, and with good speed. Frothing 4 oz. of milk takes about 10 seconds while brewing simultaneously (in 20 amp mode).

Jack

liquidmetal

#6: Post by liquidmetal »

Interesting. Have you tried the two hole? what does your steam pressure stay at throughout the steaming?

#7: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) replying to liquidmetal »

The two-hole that came with the machine? I think I discussed that either this topic, or the original one. But it's a long discussion. So, yes. It was what came installed on the machine. It was a decent tip to help me transition from my old single boiler machine, but ultimately, way too slow.

I haven't paid much attention to the steam pressure gauge, because I haven't felt the need. I'm paying attention to what's going on inside the pitcher. ;)

Jack

#8: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

Another follow-up.

I decided to give the original 4-hole tip another try, and committed to stay with it for a week. I think it's this tip:
4 Hole 0.9 mm Steam Tip for No Burn Arm
Did I mention it's fast? It froths about twice as fast as any other tip I've used. I have plenty of time to froth the milk before the shot is finished.

I noticed that with this tip, I don't have that fluffy unusable blob that's the last thing to pour out of the pitcher (always unusable). And finally, I'm starting to get better consistency (finer, smoother foam). However, my best results are with lattes (10-ish oz of milk). It's a lot more tricky frothing < 4 oz of milk for my cappuccinos.

I think I'm finally ready to call it "permanent".

Jack

#9: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

JR_Germantown wrote:I think I'm finally ready to call it "permanent".
Call me indecisive. I just went back to the 4-hole Izzo tip that has a center hole surrounded by 3. I did an A-B comparison on steaming speed and while this tip was slightly slower, the difference isn't significant (to me), compared to the quality and ease of use that the Izzo tip gives me.

Here's a 5 oz. capp using decaf from Red Bird Coffee. I got a little wobbly at the end, but the milk poured so nicely!

Jack

JackHK

#10: Post by JackHK »

Kryptonicspb wrote:I've gone back to the 2 hole and bumped my pressure up to 1.5 bar and have not looked back. Pressure stays at 1 bar all through steaming and I'm able to texturize really well now. 4 hole was always too wet and the pressure drops fast
1.5 bar? how high is you PID temp?

Mine have a max setpoint at 129 degrees celsius / 264 degrees fahrenheit

I found out if I raise the level pope and let more wather in, the pressure raise.. but steam is more wet :?