Flow control + Lelit MaraX

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Tjyven

#1: Post by Tjyven »

Hi!
I am interested to see what you who use flow control think about it. I have a MaraX myself so I am most interested to see what those people who also have that machine think about that combination. Am of course interested to see what others also think even though other machines have different stock flow rate. The MaraX only have about 5ml/s as stock flow rate which is lower than most other machines.

How high flow rates do you get using the flow control? Heard some people saying you should not have higher flows than the stock flow, do you agree?
What roasts/beans do you get best results with?
What kind of profiles do think is the best?
Other thoughts? Problems?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

The Mara X has a tighter restrictor and softer preinfusion spring than a stock E61. If you use a needle valve, also get a stiffer spring, otherwise the flow rate will be quite low. The flow rate, if you crank a flow control with a stiff spring all the way up, will be far higher than a stock E61. It's not a good idea unless you are looking to go retro, and do 1990s darkish roast, coarse grind, overstuffed basket, vintage Seattle Linea shots.
Jim Schulman

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
Tjyven (original poster)

#3: Post by Tjyven (original poster) »

Aha, I thought the preinfusion spring only affected the pressure for about the ten first seconds but changing to a stiffer spring will give a higher flow during the whole shot? I tried the flow control from coffee-sensor for a very short while without changing the preinfusion spring and then I got flow rates of max 7,5-8 ml/s. Guess the stock 5 ml/s is actually a flow suited for good medium roasts.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

This is a tough call, since the Mara X is an HX machine, albeit a modified one, there's only room for one device on the e61 group head. The choice is usually a brewing thermometer (such as EricS) or a pressure gauge (such as those supplied with FC kits). Generally, on an HX, I would rather have a thermometer; but my experience was with a Magister, which is a dragon-HX. On a DB, the thermometer is much less important, so I'd opt for a pressure gauge (with or without FC); which is what I did with my Synchronika. But, the Mara-X has a reputation for being more temperature stable, possibly making a temperature gauge a bit less important. The bottom line is, IMHO, up to the owner. Only you can decide on which of the two gauges would be the more important to you.

Tjyven (original poster)

#5: Post by Tjyven (original poster) » replying to Nunas »

Agree with that, both are interesting but non of them seems essential. Think I would normally have the pressure gauge and sometimes change to the thermometer just to see that the temperature is as it should.