First-time startup of Bezzera BZ13 -- heat for 12 hours?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
No1reddog

#1: Post by No1reddog »

I just unboxed my new Bezzera BZ-13 and am very excited to start using it! But I have a question about the included instructions for "first-time startup or after prolonged non-activity" (7 days of non-use). It says to fill the water reservoir, turn on the machine, *wait 12 hours*, then flush the boiler through the grouphead, steam and water taps. Am I really supposed to leave the machine powered on and warm for 12 straight hours? Or am I misunderstanding the instructions?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

nahau

#2: Post by nahau »

I don't see anything about this in the manual. You might call the place you bought the machine from to confirm it.

https://wiki.wholelattelove.com/images/ ... -_BZ13.pdf

DeGaulle

#3: Post by DeGaulle »

No1reddog wrote:I just unboxed my new Bezzera BZ-13 and am very excited to start using it! But I have a question about the included instructions for "first-time startup or after prolonged non-activity" (7 days of non-use). It says to fill the water reservoir, turn on the machine, *wait 12 hours*, then flush the boiler through the grouphead, steam and water taps. Am I really supposed to leave the machine powered on and warm for 12 straight hours? Or am I misunderstanding the instructions?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!
This has been discussed a few times before wrt other Bezzera models such as the Strega. Look for "Strega first start".
It seems Bezzera have added this to the instructions at some point. It wasn't included in the instructions for my 8-year old BZ10. Maybe to get rid of some left-over chemical smell from cleaning, but if there aren't any, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.
Bert

No1reddog (original poster)

#4: Post by No1reddog (original poster) »

Thank you both for your responses! Sorry for the delay...I've been busy pulling shots on my machine. =)

Seriously though, I did reach out to Whole Latte Love (I purchased from them) -- in fact, I submitted *two* separate tech support tickets because of what I thought were tech glitches on my end. Funny enough, the two answers were different and much like your two responses: either "it isn't necessary", or "go ahead and do it to be safe."

I was mostly concerned about any potential harm to the machine from leaving it on for 12 hours before doing any pulls. But everything seems to be working perfectly, and the shots are tasty!

Thanks again!

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would have warmed it up for an hour, flushed some water into 2-separate white ceramic cups, 1-for the Brew Head & 1-for the Hot Water Spigot to see if anything nasty comes out and just have sip out of each cup to see if anything tastes 'Off'.

Do a bit of flushing and you're off to the races - caffeine and all!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

nahau

#6: Post by nahau »

I would thing tha WLL would check out the machine before shipping it to a custormer... ie... run it, test it, etc... meaning getting it ready for the custormers to use right away. I believe this is what Chris Coffee does with all the machines they sell. In any case, glad you're enjoying your coffee!