First look - El Rocio double boiler espresso machine (with flow profile & 3 PIDs)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
indend007

#1: Post by indend007 »

This is a DB machine made by El Rocio(S.korea company).
I had a chance to test one of them, and write some detail that was approved by manufacturer.

- Stainless Steel (SUS 304)
- Pump : ULKA EAX5 15BAR 220V 60Hz/ ULKA NMEHP1 220V 60Hz(2 pumps are individually controlled)
- Boiler capacity : brew boiler: 600ml / steam boiler : 2L /
- Water capacity : reservoir : 2.4L / drip tray: 1.6L
- Coffee Boiler : 800w / Steam boiler : 1100w / group head : 300w (total 2.2Kw)
- 58mm group head, perfectly share common parts with e61 style
- 3 PID control : brew boiler / steam boiler / group head, and pre-head on/off
- Fluid O'tech OPV
- If use external control pad's knob, it's possible to fully control flow(pressure) profiling by manual.
Program setting in auto mode, it's possible to set pre-infusion duration and pump power(and in a separate function, it can set filling duration headspace)

#. Temperature stability GS/3 versus Elrocio DB

It's 3PID tech is really works nicely, and also looks similar to NS T3 tech.
Pre-infusion profiling also works well like Breville BES 9XX.
In manual profiling mode, you can control flow(pressure) profile using like other PP machine.

I like that machine in technically view, but can't say it have nice looking cosmetic.

It's made in S.Korea, if use google translator, U can read some korean's review about it.
(https://www.caffemuseo.co.kr/shop/detai ... g_num=9993)

Ah, It has amazing start up time from power-off condition, just 3 minutes!

Beenbag

#2: Post by Beenbag »

- 3 PID control : brew boiler / steam boiler / group head, and pre-head on/off
So is there a separate heating & PID control system just for the group ?

indend007 (original poster)

#3: Post by indend007 (original poster) »

Hi, Beenbag,
Yes, third heating element on grouphead and temperature probe.
There're totally 3 heat elements, and 3 temperature probes.

All temperature are displayed on lcd screen in external controller realtime.

DanoM

#4: Post by DanoM »

Beenbag wrote:So is there a separate heating & PID control system just for the group ?
Quick and precise group heatup is only going to be possible with the group having its own heating element. The spec is for a 3 minute heatup time, which if true would be amazingly fast. Even a small lever usually takes 10+ minutes to heatup.
LMWDP #445

jerbear00

#5: Post by jerbear00 »

Thanks for the post! Very intriguing

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

At $2k, this machine is pretty much ahead of everyone else.
LMWDP #353

BenKeith

#7: Post by BenKeith »

My Pasquini claims 10 minutes on the Livia 90 but it's more like 30 if you want a stable temp. This might be the best machine on the planet, but having dealt with so many quality issues with Korean industrial equipment, I'm afraid this one would have to establish a track record to sell me on it, and it sounds like what I'm looking for as an upgrade. Am I wrong or are all the copper fittings just a common flare fitting?

jonr

#8: Post by jonr »

Does it have automated pressure profiling such that I can specify that I want 9 bars at 10 seconds and 7 bars @ 20 seconds into brew? Does it have automated flow profiling such that I can specify that I want 20 ml at 20 seconds?

I take it that it has no temperature profiling capability? Conceivably control of a group heater could allow some of this (eg, a hot group and a cool boiler tends to create a falling profile).

indend007 (original poster)

#9: Post by indend007 (original poster) »

jonr wrote:Does it have automated pressure profiling such that I can specify that I want 9 bars at 10 seconds and 7 bars @ 20 seconds into brew? Does it have automated flow profiling such that I can specify that I want 20 ml at 20 seconds?

I take it that it has no temperature profiling capability? Conceivably control of a group heater could allow some of this.
It's impossible to control with auto-profiling(both pressure and flow). In automode, 2 different setting available in shot time and headspace filling duration, pre-infusion time and pump power.
I don't have confidence, but it has much margin to be improved by firmware update.

smite

#10: Post by smite »

Is this machine available in the US?