First Impressions of La Marzocco GS3 from a New Owner - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mike01 (original poster)

#11: Post by mike01 (original poster) »

jpsm wrote:Very good to hear that you are getting accurate volumetrics. I own the model before the app thing but I am gonna get it upgraded also(so i wont have to use a wemo anymore LOL). My personal experience it is accurate 7/10 times and the other 3 times it is + 1-4ml the targeted weight. So for me it is meh but considering that the volumetrics on the gs3 is one of the best if not the best, I cant imagine volumetrics on another machine maybe it will be +- 1-10ML so it's pretty much ok I guess.

Re flowmeter I will get back to you as I also have a PB for my shop but it is still brand new so i've yet to play around with it because of the whole virus thing but I think it will be the same as my experience +1-4ml.

Also if you get bored of how it looks you can always spice things up changing the side panels and group head cover like I did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSjgVfc0Ics :D
It's still only been a couple days, but I've been weighing every shot (my old 0.1g accurate scale seems to be revived) and I don't think I've seen one be off by more than 2g. I'm going to continue monitoring it for a little while, but if it keeps working this way, it's probably more accurate than if I tried stopping the shots manually. If an occasional shot runs a bit short or long, it's really not that big of a deal it me anyway.

Nice video. I probably will change out the side panels at some point. I still haven't decided which, but I'm leaning towards the new black glass panels. If they weren't over $500 I probably would have already purchased them.

ShmulikTal

#12: Post by ShmulikTal »

mike01 wrote:I also love the look of the Slayer, however it was never a consideration for me due to the price and reliability concerns. Either the ECM or GS3 will make great espresso. With the GS3, the extra money gets you more consistency due to the saturated group, better steaming due to larger boiler, easier workflow from the volumetrics, and nicer design (although that is subjective). I was concerned too about the design of the steam valve on the gs3, however it works fine and the ergonomics don't bother me. Whether the extra money for the gs3 vs the ECM is worth it, that's a decision you will have to make.
Just ordered a new customized GS3 AV. Got a really good price with free color upgrade, free in house installation and it comes with two portafilters.
Thanks for the help.

flyguyjake

#13: Post by flyguyjake »

I wish they would have implemented weight based brewing on the newest GS/3. (Linea PB ABR) ... I just bought a new GS/3 before the new connected version was released. Can this be added to my machine? Is there an add-on kit?

ng

#14: Post by ng »

mike01 wrote:I don't think I've seen one be off by more than 2g.
2g seems like a lot, if it's being metered? I can easily pull a shot within 2g without thinking :lol:

mike01 (original poster)

#15: Post by mike01 (original poster) replying to ng »

The older machines can be updated to be app-enabled. I'm not sure if the parts are available yet, but I think it's supposed to cost somewhere around $600-$700.

I work in a compounding pharmacy and prepare custom prescriptions for patients. The official guidelines that regulate pharmacy say final potency must be within plus or minus 10%. The way I looks at it, if my espresso is within human medication potency standards, it's close enough and I shouldn't stress too much about it. :D

flyguyjake

#16: Post by flyguyjake »

mike01 wrote:The older machines can be updated to be app-enabled. I'm not sure if the parts are available yet, but I think it's supposed to cost somewhere around $600-$700D
Yeah! I will upgrade mine when available.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by Peppersass »

flyguyjake wrote:I wish they would have implemented weight based brewing on the newest GS/3. (Linea PB ABR) ... I just bought a new GS/3 before the new connected version was released. Can this be added to my machine? Is there an add-on kit?
I implemented weight-based brewing in my GS/3 AV using an Arduino connected to an Acaia Lunar scale via Bluetooth. It operates the GS/3 via relays connected to the front-panel buttons.

thoang77

#18: Post by thoang77 »

flyguyjake wrote:I wish they would have implemented weight based brewing on the newest GS/3. (Linea PB ABR)
It's a 20% price increase on the 2 group Linea for the ABR, so I wouldn't put it past LM charging $1000 or $1500 if they had done it on a GS3 which would start creeping it into absurd pricing territory (if it wasn't already)

mike01 (original poster)

#19: Post by mike01 (original poster) »

Apparently there's a new vacuum breaker design. It's a horizontal design with some sort of plastic cover over it. I haven't seen this before from the pics I've seen online. Hopefully this requires less maintenance than the previous version.

Edit- I found this. It is a new design that is supposed to have a longer lifespan. https://www.lamarzoccousa.com/wp-conten ... .2.029.pdf

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Peppersass »

For those interested in upgrading their GS/3 vacuum breaker, the September 2019 price list has it at about $98. Pretty expensive compared with buying a rebuild kit or just some O-rings, but potentially worth it if your existing vacuum breaker needs to be serviced frequently. In recent years mine hasn't needed service very often. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had to do it. This could be due to a change in the O-rings LM supplies or my using a very light coat of lube on the O-ring when replacing.

[Edit: Surprising to see the hose attached with a zip tie. Hope it's a high-temp one.]