First Impressions of Decent Espresso DE1+PRO - Page 10

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Donguanella

#91: Post by Donguanella »

There will be a 1.1>1.3 upgrade path for existing users. I held out for 1.1 and in retrospect, I should have jumped in sooner. It's an incredible machine and the public discourse does not do it justice.

liquidmetal

#92: Post by liquidmetal »

Oh god...they used TCL? Why???

r7

#93: Post by r7 »

Donguanella wrote: ... It's an incredible machine and the public discourse does not do it justice.

Well stated.

tliptak

#94: Post by tliptak »

I was considering a GS3, a speedster, and a Slayer.

About two weeks in with the DE1 Pro and awaiting the white XL components and a Monolith Flat. I was initially sceptical and shared many of the common concerns I've seen posted.

100% would recommend it. It's the best espresso I've ever had. I've learned so much from the machine and from the Decent Basecamp.

Really appreciative of all the threads and comments that led me down this path. Without them I likely would have purchased one of the above machines, later learned about the DE1, and swapped.

Just one home-barista's opinion, but to me this is the pinnacle of what I could get at home.

bhauff

#95: Post by bhauff »

Ti, so glad to hear you are getting along well. I have been transporting my DE1Pro regularly to church and back, and I am so appreciative of the small size, easy transport (with suitcase), quick setup, and speedy warmup. Any favorite features for you so far?
Enjoying the adventure is as rewarding as the destination.

tliptak

#96: Post by tliptak replying to bhauff »

Flexibility than repeatability.

Love being able to experiment with several different profiles or variations of a profile, then when I've found what I like for a bean, have great repeatability.

Really been enjoying the lever profiles.

Donguanella

#97: Post by Donguanella »

tliptak wrote:Without them I likely would have purchased one of the above machines, later learned about the DE1, and swapped.

Just one home-barista's opinion, but to me this is the pinnacle of what I could get at home.
Agree with all of the above! It's funny how many of us DE1PRO folks are ex-Slayer and ex-GS3. I still maintain a lot of that is because of an overall polarizing discourse about the machine. I'm so happy to see that it's slowly changing! It's an incredible product and I hope it ends up with a similar cult following that the Monoliths have around these parts. It's currently nowhere close in terms of the discourse, but absolutely deserving of that!

pcrussell50

#98: Post by pcrussell50 »

Donguanella wrote:Agree with all of the above! It's funny how many of us DE1PRO folks are ex-Slayer and ex-GS3.
I don't think it's funny. I think it's expected. While there are plenty of people who's starter machine is a Slayer or a GS/3, (or an LMLM), there are still plenty of Slayer and GS/3 owners who bought those machines when they were the cutting edge, and now understand the benefits of beginning to end flow profiling, and realize that those machines are not capable of that. So their migration to machines that can do beginning to end flow control is not surprising. This is still pretty new stuff. There are still new baristas who don't even know (or understand) about full flow control, and are looking at Slayer/Speedster/LMLM as starter machines. Some of them are posting about their dream Speedster or LMLM orwhat have you, right here on HB, where flow profiling is at the fore.

In fairness, I should say that some of them simply aren't interested in the super light roasts that you tame with super low debit, long pre infusion, in which case those old guard machines are still as good as it gets. Also, I should say that while Slayer only offers "two speeds", (high and low debit), and it's better in low debit than the others, and therefore delivers more of the benefit of flow profiling than the others.

Me? I can't live without full flow control beginning to end, either. ;)

-Peter
LMWDP #553

SteveH
Supporter ♡

#99: Post by SteveH »

Donguanella wrote:Agree with all of the above! It's funny how many of us DE1PRO folks are ex-Slayer and ex-GS3. I still maintain a lot of that is because of an overall polarizing discourse about the machine. I'm so happy to see that it's slowly changing! It's an incredible product and I hope it ends up with a similar cult following that the Monoliths have around these parts. It's currently nowhere close in terms of the discourse, but absolutely deserving of that!
Ex-GS3+Slayer and current very happy Decent owner here too!

JonF

#100: Post by JonF »

DE1.1 Pro here, and it's been fun. I also considered other upgrades, most of which were way more expensive. The DE really changed the way I look at my espresso hobby. Historically, I have had nice machines, but it was hard to change parameters. (For example, to change preinfusion pressure I had to crawl under the sink to change the pressure control) So I did much more playing around with different espresso roasts from the many great vendors around here. But now I am having just a blast trying different brew profiles with one or two of my favorite coffees. For me this adds a lot to the hobby. It did take me a while to have two fall-back profiles for when I did not want to experiment.

From a home perspective, the small size, relatively light weight, fast warmup, plumbable aspect, built in startup timer for the morning all are pluses. As a Mac person for many years, the Android aspect has taken a little getting used to.

I have also never had steaming that this this predictable and consistent. You do not have a tank changing pressure as you steam, so it just keeps coming. And you can even tweak the steam temp if desired. Very dry steam too.

I will probably do the 1.1 to 1.3 tweak when available, but I am in no hurry. On very rare occasions (2, to be exact) it would have been nice to have the manual buttons that will be on the 1.3.